Samsung could have a major crisis on its hands.
A Southwest Airlines flight from Louisville to Baltimore was evacuated before take off yesterday after a Galaxy Note 7 caught fire, filling the cabin with smoke. Everyone was evacuated safely and without injury.
The Smartphone in question, according to its owner, was a replacement for his original Galaxy Note 7, which was the subject of a recall last month.
Brian Green told The Verge he had picked up his replacement, which was supposed to be safe, on Sept. 21. Green told the publication he “had powered down the phone” and was in the process of putting it into his pocket when it began to smoke.
Samsung, at the beginning of last month, halted sales of its latest flagship, the Galaxy Note 7, and launched a worldwide recall of the device after reports of batteries exploding while charging.
Samsung, at that time, launched a “thorough investigation” after receiving reports of phones catching fire and discovered the phones did indeed have a “battery cell issue.”
The replacement Galaxy Note 7s were supposed to be unaffected by the battery manufacturing error that was causing the fires.
Samsung told Business Insider that “until we are able to retrieve the device, we cannot confirm that this incident involves the new Note 7. We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause. Once we have examined the device, we will have more information to share.”
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is reportedly looking into the incident as well.
Samsung has already lost tens of millions of dollars since issuing the recall. If it turns out this phone was indeed one of the “safe” replacements, Samsung will have a major problem on its hands.
The post Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Catches, Fire Forcing Evacuation of Plane appeared first on SiteProNews.