21.6% of health and beauty shoppers are aged 65+; however, health and beauty penetration among 65+s is the second lowest after the 16-24 age group, at 65.5% compared to 35-44s at 70.4% – the highest of all age groups. Retailers must drive more regular spend from mature shoppers, with 55+s conducting a health and beauty shop once every few months, compared to 25-34s and 35-44s who shop more often.
- Use retailer ratings across eight key metrics to benchmark the performance of retailers in the health and beauty market
- Identify what factors health and beauty shoppers find important, and how well retailers satisfy the expectations of their shoppers
- Understand what channels shoppers are using to make purchases and see how this varies across regions and demographics to improve customer targeting
25.2% of health and beauty shoppers feel better off in 2015 compared to last year, and as a result 26.8% feel they are spending more. This has enabled health and beauty retailers to premiumise their offers, as willingness to spend is increasing and shoppers are becoming more easily encouraged to buy into newness of non-essentials more regularly.
Only 47.3% of Superdrug’s visitors are frequent shoppers, causing its shopping around score to be high compared to rivals Tesco, Boots, and Asda. Superdrug needs to invest in new creative products to stand out among its value and midmarket competitors and drive additional spend from experimental shoppers.
52.4% of shoppers visit Boots for health and beauty products, a 24.1 percentage point lead ahead of the second most visited retailer, Tesco. However, when looking at frequent shoppers, Tesco outshines, with 63.5% of consumers shopping frequently with the grocer compared to 60.7% at Boots.
Reasons To Buy
- Which health and beauty retailers have the highest share of visitors and purchasers? Which retailer has the highest conversion rate in health and beauty?
- How many other stores do your shoppers use for health and beauty?
- How often do health and beauty shoppers shop for health and beauty?
- How much better off do health and beauty shoppers feel in comparison to last year? And how much are they spending compared to last year?
Table of contents:
2 Main Conclusions
3 Sector Analysis
4 Retailer Ratings