The insatiable demand for continuous broadband connectivity has turned mobile data into a revenue growth engine for mobile network operators (MNO). Operators are exploring diverse approaches to attract users and grow mobile data revenue, including network-centric, user-centric and WiFi-centric strategies.
Some leading operators are building scale and revenue share through technological and performance leadership. Other operators are leveraging their powerful user analytics capabilities to design differentiated packaging and compelling offers to drive mobile data uptake and usage. In addition, MNOs are increasingly exploiting synergies stemming from WiFi connectivity, making WiFi a key element of the mobile broadband service proposition.
- Mobile broadband has become a primary revenue growth engine for MNOs around the world. Operators are responding to the mobile data opportunity with converged services portfolios and multi-play offers. Big data analytics are increasingly being leveraged to come up with accurate data pricing, bundling and marketing strategies for mobile data.
- WiFi is gaining importance among operators both as a tool to provide seamless broadband connectivity and as a services platform. Mobile network operators are leveraging WiFi to retain customers, increase their spend share and reduce network costs. While MNOs and WiFi infrastructure providers expand their WiFi hotspot footprint, emerging models such as WiFi First are changing the rules of the game.
Mobile Data and WiFi Monetization: Convergent and user-centric offers take center stage’ offers a thorough examination of the main approaches and strategies being adopted by MNOs around the world to monetize mobile data.
- Introduction: Mobile data opportunities and challenges. This section provides an overview of the growth opportunities in mobile data and the challenges faced by the operators in a changing competitive and regulatory landscape.
- Section 1: Mobile broadband as a catalyst of growth. Here we explore four key business drivers that are generating increased focus and investments in mobile data globally.
- Section 2: Key approaches to mobile data monetization. This section examines three different approaches to monetizing mobile data, their key elements, impact and evolution.
Reasons To Buy
- ‘Mobile Data and WiFi Monetization: Convergent and user-centric offers take center stage’ provides a comprehensive analysis of key monetization models and market strategies for mobile data that are being employed across the world, helping executives at MNOs, fixed telcos and pay-TV providers make informed strategic decisions.
By understanding the approaches and successful strategies of leading market players, telecom executives can formulate strategies to retain customers, generate revenue growth and navigate safely in the face of disruptive competition.
Table of contents
Introduction: Mobile data opportunity and challenges
Section 1: Mobile broadband as a catalyst of growth
Overview of business drivers for mobile broadband
Mobile data as a driver of revenue growth
Section 2: Key models for mobile data monetization
Section 3: Mobile data monetization approaches and selected strategies of leading mobile operators
Case study: China Telecom
Case study: Telefónica
Case study: ATandT
Section 4: WiFi monetization approaches
Current and emerging WiFi monetization models
Case study: Google
Case study: Boingo
Section 5: Key findings and recommendations