Almost 60% of the Hong Kong adult population is considered affluent, comparable to markets in the developed West like Switzerland, while wealth growth rates still resemble those found in emerging markets. Growth going forward will be moderated by weaker economic performance in China, but with the wealthiest individuals’ (those holding more than $10m in liquid assets) wealth forecast to achieve a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.24% over the years to 2020, Hong Kong retains much of its allure as a source of new clients for wealth managers.
- Affluent individuals constituted almost 60% of the total adult population in Hong Kong at the end of 2016, making it a very attractive market for wealth managers. HNW individuals accounted for 1.72% of the population.
- Retail savings and investments are dominated by deposits, and this trend is not expected to change.
- Despite the strong bias of Hong Kong investors towards deposits, a positive growth outlook is forecast for all asset classes over 2017-20.
“Wealth in Hong Kong: Sizing the Market Opportunity 2017” analyzes the Hong Kong wealth and retail savings and investments markets, with a focus on the HNW segment. The report is based on our proprietary datasets.
Specifically the report:
- Sizes the affluent market (both by number of individuals and the value of their liquid assets) using our proprietary datasets.
- Analyzes which asset classes are favored by Hong Kong’s investors and how their preferences impact the growth of the total savings and investments market.
- Examines HNW clients’ attitudes towards non-liquid investments, such as property and commodities.
- Identifies key drivers and booking centers for offshore investments.
- Examines the tax landscape in Hong Kong and future implications for investors.
Reasons To Buy
- Benchmark your share of the Hong Kong wealth market against the current market size.
- Forecast your future growth prospects using our projections for the market to 2020.
- Identify your most promising client segment by analyzing penetration of affluent individuals in Hong Kong.
- Evaluate your HNW proposition by understanding how Hong Kong’s tax system impacts HNW clients.
- Review your offshore strategy by identifying HNW motivations for offshore investments and their preferred booking centers.
Table of contents:
The Hong Kong wealth market remains highly appealing
SIZING AND FORECASTING THE HONG KONG WEALTH MARKET
Hong Kong remains a leading offshore center
After a step back in 2015, mutual fund holdings will experience growth from 2017 onwards
DRIVERS OF GROWTH IN THE HONG KONG WEALTH MARKET
Hong Kong’s retail investment market will perform strongly over the forecast period
Retail savings and investments growth will continue to support wealth creation
HNW INVESTMENT PREFERENCES
Investments in alternatives are on the rise
Price appreciation is the main driver for investments in property