Profile image
Story Views

Now:
Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:
Total:

RIO+20 – Pat Mooney Worried About Geoengineering and “Financialization of Nature”.

Friday, June 22, 2012 21:23
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

(Before It's News)

THE POLITICS of GEOENGINEERING

Pat Mooney from the ETC Group interviewed on the current Rio+20  negotiations (20 June, 2012)

“In 1992 our big concern was with bio-piracy and Bio-Pirates. Now our big concern is the Bio-Masters. They’re no longer the pirates – they’re the masters.  In 1992 they got that part of biological diversity that had value..the 23.8% of the world’s biomass that was in the marketplace already. This time they’ve come back for the other 76.2 percent of the world’s biomass that hasn’t been in the market, yet.  This is the financialization of nature through the  “Green economy” . That’s what they’re trying to get and they’ve gone a long way to getting it. – much more than we expected. We thought, in fact, the G-77 would be tougher in resisting it.  In fact if you look at who are the victors here it’s really been the private sector and the acceptance of this concept of the financialization of nature  it’s gone much further than I would have thought.”

Question: “Which are the countries which are backing the moves to this kind of poilitics of geoengineering and this kind of stuff?” 

Mooney:  “They look a lot like me. They speak English like I do. They’ve got my kind of skin and my kind of background.  It’s the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, – It’s the big, bad former colonial powers. Much less so, Western Europe.”

Hands Off Mother Earth

 

__________________________________________________

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/p1_rdTPuwd8

YOUTUBE CHANNEL for MORE: https://www.youtube.com/user/videosviacampesina/video

ETC GROUP http://www.etcgroup.org

 

.

Report abuse

Comments

Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories
 

Featured

 

Top Global

 

Top Alternative

 

Register

Newsletter

Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.