Profile image
By Science and Technology
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

Former Hancock County, West Virginia, Sheriff’s Deputy Convicted of Using Excessive Force

Monday, October 17, 2016 15:07
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

Former Hancock County, West Virginia, Sheriff’s Deputy Mark A. Cowden, 51, of Weirton, West Virginia, was convicted by jury today of using excessive force against an arrestee, announced Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, and U.S. Attorney William J. Ihlenfeld II of the Northern District of West Virginia.
Following a five-day trial, a jury found Cowden guilty of one count of deprivation of rights.  Evidence presented at trial established that Cowden, who was then serving as a lieutenant with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, escorted a handcuffed arrestee into a Hancock County building in order to process his arrest.  Once Cowden and five other officers entered the building with the arrestee, Cowden slammed the handcuffed arrestee face-first into a brick wall and punched him in the head.    
“When law enforcement officials flout the law they take an oath to uphold, their actions erode trust in our public institutions,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Gupta.  “Like all communities, the people of Hancock County expect and deserve a justice system anchored in accountability.  The Justice Department will continue to prosecute criminal misconduct that offends the core purpose and mission of law enforcement.”                                                      
“When Mark Cowden first became a deputy sheriff, he promised to serve and protect all citizens,” said U.S. Attorney Ihlenfeld.  “He broke that promise when he physically assaulted a handcuffed man.  His actions should not reflect upon the vast majority of officers who bravely perform their jobs everyday with professionalism and integrity.”
Cowden faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
The case was investigated by the FBI.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Jarod J. Douglas of the Northern District of West Virginia and Trial Attorney Nicholas Murphy from the Civil Rights Division’s Criminal Section prosecuted the case.


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Top Global


Top Alternative




Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.