Profile image
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

Making a False Report to Authorities

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:49
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

Most people will call the police when they see a crime committed or a crime has been committed against them. But what happens if you are mad at someone so you try to get revenge by falsely reporting he or she committed a crime? What happens if you inform the police of a crime that didn’t actually happen?

Being Prosecuted for a False Report

California Penal Code Section 148.5 states that any person who reports that a crime has been committed to any peace officer, attorney general, deputy attorney general, district attorney, or deputy district attorney and knows that report to be false is guilty of a misdemeanor.

You could be charged with this crime if you reported a crime by calling 9-1-1 to make a report or by making the report at a police station or to an officer in person.

To be convicted under PC 148.5, the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you knew the report to be false and that you reported it to one of the listed authorities. If you are convicted of this crime, you face up to six months in county jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Defenses to False Report of a Crime

One of the best defenses against an accusation of falsely reporting a crime is that you didn’t know your report was false. If you witnessed what appeared to be a crime being committed but you weren’t fully aware of all the facts, it is possible that your report was not really “false” as defined under this law.

Another possible defense is that you never actually filed a report. For instance, if you’re speaking to a police officer and you made a joke that the officer took seriously, that does not constitute filing a report.

It is not a valid defense that only parts of your report were true. For example, let’s say your car was broken into, so you tell police and you say that valuable items were also stolen from your car. If your car was actually broken into but there were no valuable items inside, you could be charged with this crime.

Contact the Criminal Defense Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich Today

If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges as a result of falsely reporting a crime, you need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled criminal defense attorneys have over 35 years of experience successfully defending our clients against charges of filing a false report of a crime. Let us help you now.

With offices in Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Diego, San Bernardino, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, Ventura, Victorville, and West Covina you can find a dedicated Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney available near you no matter where you are located.

Call us now at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

The post Making a False Report to Authorities appeared first on wklaw.


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Top Global


Top Alternative




Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.