Visitors Now:
Total Visits:
Total Stories:
Profile image
By ETF Daily News (Reporter)
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Now:
Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:
Total:

Done Deal: Centurylink and Level 3 to Combine in Telecom Mega Merger

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:33
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

(Before It's News)

telecom-wires

Telecom giants Centurylink Inc (NYSE:CTL) and Level 3 Communications, Inc. (NYSE:LVLT) will merge in a deal worth more than $30 billion, the companies announced this morning.

The merger includes Centurylink acquiring Level 3 even though the two companies have similar market capitalizations, and is a combination cash/stock deal. CTL will pay LVLT shareholders $26.50 per share in cash and a fixed exchange ratio of 1.4286 shares of CenturyLink stock for each Level 3 share they own. That means the total price is $66.50 per Level 3 share, which is a big 42% premium over LVLT’s share price prior to rumors of the announcement last week.

Once completed, current Centurylink shareholders will own 51% of the new company, with Level 3 shareholders owning the remaining 49%.

The new company will be headquartered in Centurylink’s home base of Monroe, Louisiana, but will “maintain a significant presence” in Level 3’s region of Colorado and the Denver metro area.

CTL commented via press release:

“The digital economy relies on broadband connectivity, and together with Level 3 we will have one of the most robust fiber network and high-speed data services companies in the world,” said Glen Post, CenturyLink Chief Executive Officer and President. “This transaction furthers our commitment to providing our customers with the network to improve their lives and strengthen their businesses. It is this focus on providing fiber connectivity that will continue to distinguish CenturyLink from our competitors. CenturyLink shareholders will benefit from the significant synergies and financial flexibility provided by the combined company’s revenue growth and strong cash flow. For employees, this combination will bring together two highly customer-focused organizations and provide employees growth and advancement opportunities the companies could not offer separately.”

The Wall Street Journal had first reported rumors of the tie-up late last week.

Level 3 shares rose $6.25 (+11.56%) to $60.30 in premarket trading Monday on the news. Prior to the merger announcement, LVLT had fallen 0.57% year-to-date.

LVLT-2016-10-31

Meanwhile, Centurylink shares were unchanged in premarket trading. Prior to the merger, CTL had gained 20.79% since the start of 2016.

CTL-2016-10-31

You are viewing an abbreviated republication of ETF Daily News content. You can find full ETF Daily News articles on (www.etfdailynews.com)

Report abuse

Comments

Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories

Register

Newsletter

Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.