Profile image
By ETF Daily News (Reporter)
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

Reynolds American Shares Surge 23% on British American Takeover Offer

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:41
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

TobaccoBritish American Tobacco PLC (NYSE:BTI) made a big merger offer to Reynolds American, Inc. (NYSE:RAI) today, spiking the latter’s shares up to 23% in early trading.

The combined company would create a massive tobacco powerhouse with a market cap of over $170 billion.

British American already owns a 42.2% stake in Reynolds, so the offer is to acquire the remaining 57.8% in the company. The deal is subject to approval by both companies’ boards and shareholders, not to mention U.S. regulators, who very well may take an antitrust look at the proposal.

BTI noted that “US securities laws require [the company] to announce its merger proposal promptly after it was made to the Board of Reynolds. As a result, BAT has been unable to have prior negotiations with Reynolds regarding the proposal.”

The $56.50 per share offer represents a nearly 20% premium over RAI’s Thursday closing price of $47.17. BTI noted that deal is comprised of $24.13 per share in cash, with the remaining $32.37 in British American shares. BTI stated that “there is a strong financial rationale for the transaction that supports long-term delivery for all stakeholders.”

Reynolds American shares jumped $10.87 (+23.04%) to $58.04 in premarket trading Friday on the news.


Meanwhile, BTI investors were also bullish on the news, sending its shares up $3.09 (+2.62%) to $21.22 in premarket trading.


You are viewing an abbreviated republication of ETF Daily News content. You can find full ETF Daily News articles on (


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Top Global


Top Alternative




Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.