Profile image
By Food Safety News (Reporter)
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

Final report published on boy’s death from drinking raw milk

Monday, November 14, 2016 23:17
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

Were it not for his drinking raw milk, a 3-year-old Australian boy who died in 2014 would very likely still be alive to this day. That much has been known since the inquiry by Coroner’s Solicitor Rebecca Cohen.

With the publishing of findings by Coroner Audrey Jamieson, those findings became final and official on Nov. 11. The 3-year-old boy’s death was from organ failure from drinking raw, unpasteurized milk.

Jamieson said the source of that raw milk was Mountain View Farm, which produced Mountain View Organic Bath Milk labeled “not for human consumption” and “for cosmetic purposes only.”

“I emphasize that at no point has prosecution been contemplated against Mountain View Farm, and the company was not considered to have breached at legislative at the time of (the child’s) death in 2014,” Jamieson ruled.

His parents kept the boy on a gluten-free and organic diet that included giving him drinks of the raw milk sold for bath and cosmetic purposes. That’s is what apparently killed the boy.

The coroner’s report says four other children became seriously ill from drinking Mountain View Organic Bath Milk around the same time as the boy’s death. Three of four children suffered from hemolytic uremic syndrome, a kidney disease often brought on E. coli infections.

The fourth of the surviving children developed cryptosporidiosis, a parasitic infection associated with gastroenteritis.

The boy who died was first treated at the Franklin medical center on Sept. 30, 2014, for vomiting and diarrhea. He was diagnosed with gastroenteritis and sent home. His parents took him back to the doctor on Oct. 2, 2014, when his conditioned worsened.

Tests were ordered, but he was not dehydrated, and was again sent home. When blood showed up his stool, his parents took him to the Franklin hospital emergency room on Oct. 4, 2014.

It was at that point that he was admitted to the hospital, where he died on Oct. 13, 2014, of thrombatic microangiopathy, a rare condition leading to organ failure.

The final report says the boy’s medical treatment was “reasonable and appropriate” with no cause for adverse findings against the clinicians involved. The boy was suffering from HUS, for which onset was rapid and no cure was possible.

Selling raw milk for human consumption has been illegal in Australia since the 1940s. Its sale for cosmetic purchases, usually in health food stores, is permitted.

However, bath milk must now contain a bittering agent that gives it a foul taste. Further, after the boy’s death, the law was changed to make anyone guilty of giving someone raw milk to drink, the target of a $60,000 fine.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Top Global

Top Alternative




Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.