New York Times
Oct 25, 1860
A Bad Trade – A New York merchant, who does a little farming in a small way, in the eighteenth Ward, had a few barrels of very choice apples on his trees this Fall. Last week a man who was passing by made him a tempting offer for the apples, which was accepted, and the purchaser agreed to gather them the next morning. Our City farmer waited some time for his customer the following morning, and finally proceeded to his business without seeing him. Upon returning home in the evening, he found the purchaser had been there and gathered the apples, but left without paying for them. The City farmer has not seen him since.
19 July 1896 Brooklyn Eagle explains the lands and those who owned them.
Good Crops Were Grown by Their Thrifty Proprietors Where Residences and Factories Now Exist.
It was only twelve years before the opening of the present century, or on March 7, 1788, that the town of Brooklyn was recognized by the state government. Just 143 years before, or in 1645, the first Dutch settlers gave to the district on eighter side of that part of the highway to Flatbush, which has since been known as Fulton street, the name of Breuckelen, after a town in Holland.
There was then nothing to suggest the modern city of to-day, only a sparse and scattered population laboring industriously to repair the ravages of the revolution, subsisting on homely fare and being strangers to luxury. Increasing facilities of communication with New York paved the way for growth of a village on the side of the river where formally all had been farmers or fisherman, and Brooklyn village, which was twenty-eight years younger than the township, was incorporated on April 12, 1816, having been previously created a fire district by the legislature of 1801.
It is highly interesting to recall the condition of things which then existed, the status of landed property held by a few proprietors whose names we find in our deeds and whose family appellatives are preserved in the streets of the great city which has sprung up on and extended far beyond the area occupied by their farms.