Profile image
By Food Safety News (Reporter)
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

NC restaurant remains open after E. coli confirmed in customer

Friday, June 22, 2018 21:09
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

The Mexico Viejo restaurant in Taylorville, NC, about 60 miles north of Charlotte, remained open Friday after as many as 45 customers reported illnesses to the local health department.

Officials from the Alexander County Health Department said on Friday that one E. coli infection has been confirmed. One person was hospitalized due to the illness.

County Health Director Leeanne Whisnant said the health department was notified Friday morning about the confirmed case of E. coli. The health department issued a press release on the outbreak to local media and on Facebook on Friday afternoon.

She said at least 30 individuals have reported getting sick after eating chicken at the Mexico Viejo restaurant on June 20. Most reported nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea were experienced within hours of eating at the restaurant located on Highway 90 East.

The health department sent Environmental Health Specialists to the restaurant on Friday and brought in the State Communicable Disease Branch and the State Environmental Health Division to work on the outbreak.

Anyone who ate at the Mexican restaurant on June 20 and who has since become ill should call the county health department at 828-632-9704. Anyone experiencing nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea should stay hydrated and seek medical attention if the symptoms do not subside or become worse, according to Whisnant.

If the illnesses remained linked to only June 20, Whisnant says the outbreak could be an isolated event. Alexander County has not had any multiple E. coli cases in 20 years.

At this point, dishes containing chicken served on June 20 are the suspected source of the illnesses. Those who’ve reported their illnesses to the Health Department also say they’ve recovered quickly.

The Health Department’s plan is to closely monitor Mexico Viejo. They said the restaurant management is being fully cooperative in the investigation.

E. coli can be deadly in rare instances for young children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories


Top Global

Top Alternative



Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.