Most people who have acne prone skin have to deal with acne throughout their lives. If you’ve been embattled by acne, it’s likely that you have been relying too much on products to clear your skin. The best way to get longer lasting relief from blemishes is to take a more systemic approach to promote your skin’s health. That means taking your acne solutions beyond topical creams and oral medications, and watching your diet and skincare practices more closely.
Every skin behaves differently, and acne prone skin may be harder to manage and to predict. Despite this fact, there are 7 techniques that have been shown, time and again, to work out the best combination of solutions to tame your acne and clear your skin once and for all.
Here’s the list of 7 things you need to do win your battle against acne:
1. Keep your skin clean. Steering clear of acne requires that you keep your face clean and free of impurities as much as you can. That does not give you permission to cleanse more than twice or up to three times daily if you have excessively oily skin. Fold in exfoliation twice in your weekly routine too. This helps rid your skin of dead skin cells, product residues and hardened oil that can invade your pores, infect it, spread and cause a breakout.
2. Moisturize. Your oily skin does not exempt you from applying moisturizer after every cleanse. Your oily skin, in fact, compels you to keep moisturizing your skin. The last thing you want your acne prone skin to do is to overcompensate for lost moisture. When your skin detects dryness, your skin’s natural tendency will be to produce more oil. You can easily prevent your skin from overcompensating for lost moisture by using a sheer and lightweight moisturizer. Water-based moisturizers are among the best products for acne.
3. Get an anti-acne treatment. Acne prone skin behave differently. Some may work well with topical solutions, others with oral medications, including contraceptive pills. Nevertheless, getting rid of the infection is just the first step in clearing your skin. Usually, acne-prone individuals will also have to deal with dark marks, for which a skin brightening cream or a Cosmelan procedure can work out significant improvements.
4. Load up on acne regulating food. Acne can be a sign that there is an imbalance happening in your system, and it usually involves fats and metabolism. Load up on vitamin and mineral rich greens and citrus fruits, as well as nuts and fatty fish that contain high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. To help your taste buds adapt to this diet and support yourself in obtaining the nutrition you need at the right amounts, blend your fresh food in every imaginable combination you can think of.
5. Stop stressing out. Stress causes your cortisol, the stress hormone, to spike, causing your skin to become oilier and to breakout. Some stressful situations can be overcome simply by avoiding it but, some require you to live with it. Manage stress better by finding more time to relax, and keep your gadgets turned off while you’re in R&R mode.
6. Use less products. More products in your skincare and beauty regimen means higher risk for untoward skin reactions and a sure fire recipe to favor a breakout. Keep in mind that makeup may sound like a good idea to coverup your blemishes but, you’re better off permanently improving your dark marks with regular Cosmelan treatments and daily application of a skin lightening cream.
7. Simplify your skincare routine. Products that contain salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are some of the best products for acne. Keep your routine lean and mean, and use only what your skin needs. Stop experimenting with formulations, and make sure to look for scientific evidence behind product claims. However you choose, make sure that your products are non-comedogenic and alcohol-free.
It takes a more systemic approach for you to finally win against acne and clear your face from unsightly blemishes. Live and breathe these 7 tips to clearer skin and you’ll be several steps closer to achieving flawless skin.
Author : Jazz Pollard
Reference : The Beauty Insiders