So far the presidential debates have not been as entertaining as I hoped, but they have produced some memorably weird moments, thanks almost entirely to Donald Trump. In recognition of his contribution, here is a quiz designed to test your knowledge of what Trump said and why he said it.
1. “It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds,” Trump said during the first debate. To whom was he referring?
a) the winner of the Miss Universe pageant
b) the hacker who swiped embarrassing emails from the Democratic National Committee
c) his pick to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
d) people who have benefited from enrolling in Trump University
2. “I think that I’ve developed very, very good relationships over the last little while with the African-American community,” Trump said during the first debate, “and I feel that they really wanted me to come to that conclusion.” What conclusion?
a) that we need law and order in our country
b) that an aggressive stop-and-frisk program is essential to reducing gun violence
c) that politicians like Hillary Clinton pander to blacks but never keep their promises
d) that Barack Obama was born in the United States
3. “I said very tough things to her,” Trump said during the first debate, “and I think everybody would agree that she deserves it and nobody feels sorry for her.” To whom was he referring?
a) Rosie O’Donnell
b) Alicia Machado
c) Megyn Kelly
d) Hillary Clinton
4. “It’s certainly not a nice thing that she’s done,” Trump said during the first debate, referring to Hillary Clinton. What did she do?
a) interrupted him
b) refused to shake his hand
c) ran campaign ads criticizing him
d) called his supporters deplorable and irredeemable
5. What did Trump call “my strongest asset, maybe by far” during the first debate?
a) the Trump Building
b) his business acumen
c) his temperament
d) his very good brain
6. “I’m a gentleman,” Trump announced during the second debate. What was his evidence?
a) He never tried to talk over Clinton.
b) He let Clinton answer a question first.
c) He never actually dated his daughter.
d) He only kisses and gropes women who let him.
7. “It sounds harsh to say,” Trump conceded during the second debate. What was “it”?
a) Muslims seeking to enter the United States must be subjected to “extreme vetting.”
b) People living in the country without the government’s permission must be deported, even if they’ve lived here for years and are otherwise law-abiding.
c) The United States cannot accept more refugees from Syria.
d) We have to build up the wealth of our nation.
8. “I know nothing about Russia,” Trump said during the second debate. Why did he say that?
a) to explain why he keeps praising Vladimir Putin
b) to show he has no financial interest in favoring Russia
c) to illustrate the need for good foreign policy advisers
d) to draw a contrast with Clinton
9. “This is going to be the great Trojan horse of all time,” Trump said during the second debate. What was he talking about?
a) Syrian refugees
b) the Trans-Pacific Partnership
c) a new way to smuggle immigrants across the border
d) an enormous wooden statue he plans to build at Greek expense
10. “I’m not un-proud of it, to be honest with you,” Trump said during the second debate. What was he talking about?
a) the size of his penis
b) his new hotel in Washington, D.C.
c) his lawful avoidance of federal income taxes
d) his popularity on Twitter and Facebook
Answers after the jump.