After an unseemly hiatus, The Fifth Column, your usually-weekly podcast threesome of Kmele Foster, Michael C. Moynihan, and moi, has come back with a nearly two-hour episode that begins with a lengthy reaction to President Donald Trump’s speech to Congress Tuesday night. Sub-themes include:
* His excellent approach toward the Food and Drug Administration, and potentially other aspects of regulatory reform.
* His insanely bad idea that a border wall will end illegal drug use.
* His cynical and fact-challenged ideas about illegal-immigrant criminality.
* His military re-bloating.
* His Berniesque trade populism.
* And his ballyhooed yet still factually dubious section on Yemen.
Along the way there are analyses of Sweden’s refugee/immigration issues, Trump’s stupidly controversial photo-up with representatives of historically black colleges, and, of course, Moynihan’s Jesse Jackcent. Whole episode here: