PA postpones municipal elections by 4 months, Hamas rejects decision
Oct. 4, 2016 12:40 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 4, 2016 9:35 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma’an) — The Hamas movement has rejected a decision announced by
the Palestinian Authority (PA) on Tuesday to postpone municipal elections
for four months with the intent of holding them in the entire occupied
Palestinian territory, following backlash over a Supreme Court ruling to
exclude the Gaza Strip from the elections altogether.
On Sept. 8, the Supreme Court ordered a halt on municipal elections that
were scheduled to be held on Oct. 8. in both the occupied West Bank and the
besieged Gaza Strip.
The Fatah-controlled Supreme Court said at the time that the decision was in
response to several appeals submitted by lawyers challenging the legitimacy
of elections that would not include occupied East Jerusalem, stating that
any administrative procedure must be conducted in every region of Palestine.
However, on Monday the Supreme Court ruled in favor of holding the elections
on Oct. 8 as initially planned, but only in the occupied West Bank.
The ruling caused backlash for its exclusion of the Gaza Strip, with the
Hamas movement accusing Fatah of being behind the “deeply politicized”
The Central Elections Commission (CEC) stated on Monday that excluding the
Gaza Strip from elections would only worsen the Palestinian political
situation, and recommended that the elections be postponed for six months to
give time to organize the electoral process.
After a meeting held in Hebron, Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah
said that the PA had decided to follow the CEC’s recommendation and postpone
“The Palestinian Cabinet, in consultation with President Mahmoud Abbas,
decided to postpone the local elections for four months,” Hamdallah said.
“The elections will be held on the same day in all governorates, taking in
consideration all legal procedures.”
Hamdallah did not specify whether East Jerusalem would be involved.
However, Hamas rejected the PA’s decision to postpone the elections.
“We consider the government’s decision to postpone the election as an
attempt to evade the election to serve Fatah’s interests,” Hamas spokesman
Sami Abu Zuhri said during a press conference in Gaza, accusing Fatah of
having no respect for the judicial system.
Abu Zuhri called upon the CEC to resume the electoral process to counter
Fatah’s attempts to “ignite an electoral crisis” to cover its political
stances, notably taking a stab at Abbas’ recent attendance at the funeral of
former Israeli President Shimon Peres.
Meanwhile, Fatah spokesman Osama al-Qawasmi said that the decision to
postpone the elections proved Abbas and Fatah’s keenness to achieve national
unity and pave the way for future presidential and legislative elections.
He called Hamas’ accusations “bogus,” saying that they served the Islamist
movement’s partisan interests, further claiming that Hamas’ alleged
targeting of Fatah in the besieged Gaza Strip ahead of the election was the
main reason behind the current political and legal crisis.
A poll released by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research
(PSR) last week found that 61 percent of respondents were displeased by the
Supreme Court’s initial decision to postpone the municipal elections, with
60 percent believing that the decision was politically motivated.
Prior to their cancellation, the municipal elections were set to be the
first in the Gaza Strip in a decade, after Hamas’ victory in the 2006 vote
erupted into a violent conflict between Hamas and Fatah, as both groups
attempted to take control of the besieged coastal enclave