Prosecutors in Germany have charged a 19-year-old Muslim – a migrant from Syria – with plotting a terror attack in Berlin on behalf of ISIS.
Specifically, federal prosecutors say the teen, who was only named Shaas al-M in court documents, was in the midst of scouting out actual sites to attack in the German city, and had gone so far to recruit at least one other individual to join with ISIS.
Fox News has more:
“They allege he offered to act as a middle-man for IS members carrying out an attack in Germany and signaled his willingness to participate in an attack.
“Prosecutors said in a statement Thursday that al-M. joined IS in his Syrian home village in mid-2013. He underwent military training and performed guard duties for the group before leaving for Germany in mid-2015.
“The suspect was arrested March 22 and charged last week with membership of a foreign terrorist organization and breaking arms control laws.”
The case comes just a month after police in Germany arrested a 16-year-old Muslim teen – another migrant from Syria – with suspected ties to ISIS.
From a Reuters report dated September 21:
“German police said on Wednesday that initial investigations into a 16-year-old Syrian arrested at a refugee hostel near Cologne showed that the suspect had contact with someone who had links to the Islamic State militant group.
“It was unclear whether the teenager, who police said appeared to have been radicalized recently, was planning any sort of attack.
“On Tuesday, police in Cologne had said an initial assessment had pointed to a ‘serious threat’ but gave no further details.
“‘An evaluation of the young man’s mobile phone proves contacts to a person living abroad who has IS links and who wanted to win over the young Syrian for Islamist activities,’ said the police.”