Profile image
By Moonbattery (Reporter)
Contributor profile | More stories
Story Views

Last Hour:
Last 24 Hours:

Wind Turbines Kill Eagles From Far Away

Monday, October 10, 2016 9:21
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

Wind turbines may hideously mar otherwise beautiful landscapes, they may be a notoriously inefficient means of generating electricity, they may cost the taxpayer a fortune in government subsidies, but they help the liberals in charge feel good about themselves for symbolically combatting the imaginary global warming menace. No doubt the flourishing man-eating polar bears are grateful — but birds aren’t:

According to the study published in the journal Conservation Biology, a team of researchers from Purdue University has discovered that wind energy fields could kill birds not local to the area including large species including endangered golden eagles.

In order to assess how deadly wind turbines are, the team used the DNA and isotopes from the dead golden eagle’s feathers. By using the stable isotopes in the bird’s feather, scientists were abe to determine where the bird originated. The researchers found out that about 75 percent of the 63 birds found dead in the area were local birds while the remaining 25 percent were migratory birds.

Results also showed that the golden eagles found dead at the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area (APWRA) located in Northen California came from hundreds of miles away in the western U.S. …

APWRA, one of the oldest and largest wind farms in the world, has been responsible for 140,000 to 328,000 bird deaths and 500,000 to 1.6 million bat deaths.

Bat deaths are a problem because bats keep down the mosquito population. Mosquitos are mankind’s #1 enemy; the horrible diseases they spread currently include West Nile virus and Zika virus.

Wind turbines are at least partially to blame for the population decline not only of the golden eagle but of the sage grouse. If the sage grouse makes the endangered species list, it could spell doom for Wyoming’s economy:

Maybe we should do nature a favor by sticking with more sensible means of generating energy, like coal and nuclear.

On a tip from Byron.


We encourage you to Share our Reports, Analyses, Breaking News and Videos. Simply Click your Favorite Social Media Button and Share.

Report abuse


Your Comments
Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

Top Stories
Recent Stories



Top Global

Top Alternative



Email this story
Email this story

If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.