Minneapolis, MN – The Anti-War Committee and the No More Deportations campaign are co-sponsoring a community march to show solidarity with the immigrants and refugees targeted by President Trump’s executive orders, Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017 from 1-3:30 pm. Protesters will rally in Powderhorn Park and then march on Lake Street past hundreds of immigrant owned businesses to say “Immigrants are welcome here!”
The Anti-War Committee’s call for the protest says the protest will focus on denouncing the Muslim ban, the wall on the US-Mexico border, and Trump’s war threats. The protest call also calls for Minneapolis and St. Paul to remain sanctuary cities.
There is a growing movement against the president’s anti-immigrant policies. The Washington Post reported on Feb. 7, “that majorities oppose all of President Trump’s recent immigration moves…There has been a 12 point net swing against the general idea of the travel ban in the last month.”
According to reports from the Associated Press Feb.17, the Trump administration is considering the deployment of up to 100,000 members of the National Guard to round up undocumented immigrants.
Ana Vasquez of the No More Deportations campaign said, “We must all stand together to stop deportations and defeat the travel ban. Immigrant and refugee communities are under attack and all people of good conscience must unite and resist these racist attacks.”
This protest is the follow up event from the Anti-War Committee’s last march on Jan. 31st where 15,000 people protested and the march was 7 blocks long.