Iraqi PM announces start of Mosul liberation operation
Iraqi PM: Offensive to retake Mosul from ISIS under way
Iraq drops leaflets over Mosul ahead of offensive
Iraq: Battle to retake Mosul from Islamic State group has begun
Iraqi Special Operations Forces Going to Mosul
Carter: US, allies ready to help Iraqi army liberate Mosul
Operation Inherent Resolve Commander Announces Mosul Counteroffensive
Iraq’s volunteer forces (Hashd al-Shaabi) complained that the warplanes of the US-led coalition are allowing ISIL military convoys flee Mosul in Iraq’s Nineveh province to Syria without being harmed.
“Much surprised the ISIL convoys that have been escaping from Mosul to Syria have not come under attack by the coalition fighter jets,” a Hashd al-Shaabi source said.
He said that the ISIL is now confused in Mosul as the Iraqi security forces have gained a lot of information about the concentration centers of the terrorist group in Mosul.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar Al-Abadi announced early on Monday that the country’s armed forces and popular troops had started large-scale operation to take back the ISIL’s self-proclaimed capital, Mosul.
Prime Minister Al-Abadi appeared on the state TV an hour after midnight to declare that his country’s army, security and mobilized volunteer troops have started the long-awaited offensive to take back the country’s second-largest city.
“The hour has come and the moment of great victory is near,” Al-Abadi said early on Monday in a speech on state TV, flanked by the armed forces’ top commanders.
Al-Abadi vowed that the military troops will take maximum caution to save civilian lives and avoid collateral damage in the city that is believed to still be home to over a million people.
The premier asked the civilian population to raise white flags over their buildings and contact the government troops for any kind of helpful information that they might have about ISIL militants.
“We urge you, the heroic people of Mosul, to cooperate with our security forces to rescue you,” the Prime Minister added.
Mosul in Nineveh province that is ISIL’s last stronghold in Iraq was occupied by the terrorist cult on June 10, 2014 and its liberation marks an era of demise for ISIL in Iraq.
Mosul was the first city taken by the terrorist group and it was there that ISIL Leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi declared his so-called caliphate on June 29, 2014.
ISIL could stretch control over 40 percent of Iraq after it took Mosul over two years ago, but now holds only 10 percent of the country after losing battles in such major cities as Beiji, Tikrit, Fallujah and Ramadi in the last one year.
Mosul is of paramount importance both to Iraq and the ISIL as it is in an oil-rich region close to the borders with Syria and Turkey, while it has been a regional trade hub for the last several centuries. In addition to smuggling crude stolen from the oil wells of Nineveh, ISIL also levied forceful taxes for various reasons from the over 1-million-strong population that is still believed to be living in the city. Loss of Mosul will inflict a major blow to the terrorist cult as it will lose a major source of its revenues.
Iraqi army troops and volunteer forces (Hashd al-Shaabi) had been deployed 15 kilometers from Mosul two days ago.
“The reconnaissance operation in Mosul ended; we are waiting for the operations to kick off,” Hashd al-Shaabi announced in a statement on Saturday.
Iraq’s military forces have been bringing in a large number of troops, weapons, ammunition, armored vehicles, personnel carriers, tanks and other types of military equipment in preparation for the operation for the last several weeks, but many military and state officials and popular forces’ commanders were slamming the US for pressurizing Baghdad to delay the operation for the last several months, a view that was even supported by US presidential candidate Donald Trump.
In his second televised debate with Hillary Clinton, Trump asked why the US has been hindering the operation for such a long time to give ISIL commanders and top brass to escape to Syria.
ISIL has also been preparing for the operation for the last several weeks. The terrorist group has reportedly used thousands of prisoners to dig a complicated network of tunnels and trenches around the city and filled the wide trench dug around the city with oil to put it on fire as it expects the city to go under siege by Iraq’s joint military troops. The terrorist group has opened multiple fronts to confront the government troops.
Meantime, many ISIL top commanders, including Al-Baghdadi himself and his deputies, as well as their family members have left the city for Raqqa, the terrorist cult’s second self-proclaimed capital.
Al-Baghdadi and his top aides left the city last week, while local sources in Nineveh disclosed on Sunday that the families of the ISIL terrorists that had left Mosul just arrived in the town of Merkedeh in Syria’s Hasaka province.
“The ISIL commanders, including al-Baghdadi, are escaping Mosul to Syria,” Iraqi Kurdistan Democrat Party’s media director Saeed Mamouziti said last week.
He said that al-Baghdadi has also ordered his followers to completely destroy Mosul if they are defeated in the war against Iraq’s joint military forces.
Later Mamouziti said that the ISIL militants were fleeing the city since the long-awaited large-scale operation to free Mosul was expected to be launched in the following days.
Meantime, local sources revealed that “ISIL commanders’ families, including over 25 foreign families, escorted by military convoys reached the town of Merkedeh” on Sunday.
Earlier on Sunday, local sources in Nineveh province disclosed that the ISIL has brought to a halt all activities of its security offices in the city of Mosul.
“The ISIL has recently issued a circular in Mosul city according to which all its offices will halt operation until further notice,” a local source said.
The source noted that the ISIL has already evacuated its security offices in several districts of Mosul in recent days, while many ISIL members seem confused to see the rush in their commanders’ actions.
The US has also been pressuring Baghdad to keep the Hashd Al-Shaabi away from the operation, but they are now deployed to the battlefield after Prime Minister al-Abadi, the commander-in-chief of Iraq’s armed forces, personally approved their participation in the Mosul operation last week.
The Iraqi media had earlier reported that the Mosul operations would start from several directions, the most important of which are al-Qayyara axis located 60 kilometers to the South of Mosul and Sahl Nineveh some 20 kilometers to the East of the city.
Mosul Offensive Highlights: Battle for ISIS ‘capital’ in Iraq kicks off
Iraqi forces liberate several villages North of Mosul
Moment suicide bomber attacks Iraqi forces during Mosul offensive
Iraqi govt army and Peshmerga continue Mosul operation to free city from ISIS
Iraq: On the frontline of the Mosul Battle with Kurdish peshmerga fighters
Coalition jets hit strategic Mosul bridge, ISIS claim
US and Saudis grant 9,000 ISIS fighters free passage from Iraqi Mosul to Syria
3 killed in blast near refugee camp on Syria-Jordan border
Terrorists left Qudsaya under deal with government
Syria Govt forces retake Maardis from Nusra in Hama Governorate
29 terrorists killed in Syrian raids near Aleppo
Russia is ready to cease operations in Aleppo at any moment to allow medics access to the Syrian city and ensure the evacuation of injured civilians, the General Staff said, adding that it has scheduled a humanitarian pause for Thursday.
“We are prepared to cease fire and ensure the unhampered access of medical personnel to the city and ensure the evacuation of the injured and sick as soon as we get a request from humanitarian organizations,” Sergey Rudskoy, chief of the main operations directorate of Russia’s General Staff, told the media Monday afternoon, RT reported.
According to Rudskoy, Moscow is ready “to discuss any initiatives and proposals for a settlement in Aleppo”.
Russia and Syria will start carrying out a ‘humanitarian pause’ in Aleppo on Thursday, October 20, to allow passage to civilians and the withdrawal of militants from the city, he said.
The Russian and Syrian forces will refrain from military activity in Aleppo starting from 8am till 4pm local time on Thursday, the official added.
“We understand that the coordination of all issues can a take long time. Therefore, we decided not to delay a decision and initiate a ‘humanitarian pause,’ primarily for the free passage of civilians, the evacuation of the sick and wounded, as well as the withdrawal of fighters,” Rudskoy explained.
He addressed “the leaders of illegal armed groups and [their] sponsors,” saying that they will be able to leave eastern Aleppo unhampered during the pause.
Two corridors – one running along the Castello Road and the other in the souq-market area in the south of the city – will be created for the withdrawal of the militants, the official said.
Six more humanitarian corridors will be opened for the evacuation of civilians from Aleppo, he added.
According to officials, leaflets will be used to inform the population and the militants about the humanitarian pause.
“We call upon the leadership of the militants to defuse approaches to humanitarian corridors and to enable the population to evacuate northeastern Aleppo. All civilians who leave the city are guaranteed full security, medical and other assistance, as well as temporary shelter. In addition, the people will be provided with hot meals and basic necessities,” Rudskoy said.
‘Why do they bomb us?’ Children killed in recent rebel shelling in Aleppo
A commander of the US Army Special Forces deployed in Northern Raqqa was killed by unknown assailants, local sources disclosed on Monday.
“The commander of the US Special Forces in Tal Abyadh was shot in the head and killed by unknown assailants,” the Arabic-language Sham Times said.
The Arab media outlet said the death of the unnamed commander is leading to chaos among the US-backed Kurdish forces.
“The Command Center of the US military forces in Northern Raqqa and the Kurdish forces of the People’s Protection Units (YPG) have launched joint probe into the incident,” they added.
Kurdish sources said Saturday that the US Army has deployed nearly 300 fresh forces in Northern Raqqa near the border with Turkey.
“120 US army soldiers have been deployed in North of Tal Abyadh. Also 60 other soldiers have been dispatched to a base near the village of Shabadeq close to a road towards the town of Salouk,” the sources said.
“The Shabadeq base is a camp to train the Kurdish fighters for war against the ISIL terrorists in the Eastern battlefields of Raqqa up to the Northern banks of the Euphrates River,” the sources added.
“In the meantime, over 100 US soldiers have entered Ein Issa via an illegally-established US army base in the village of Kharab Isq to coordinate Kurdish fighters’ operations and meanwhile guard the US political officials who have been dispatched to Syria to form a new coalition, allegedly for the capture of Raqqa,” the sources said.
Syria war: ISIL suffers another blow by the fall of Dabiq
Hezbollah Leader explains how US is still using ISIS & Al-Qaeda in Syria
‘Deeply Disturbed’: Kerry accuses Russia of war crimes while Syrian rebels shell civilians daily
UK & US mull extra sanctions against Russia & Syria