(Before It's News)
Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi on Wednesday announced the poll dates for the five poll-bound states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Goa.
He was addressing a press conference in New Delhi to announce the election schedule. According to the Election Commission, Uttar Pradesh will have a 7-phase election, Manipur will have a 2-phase poll, while Punjab, Goa and Uttarakhand will have single-phase polls.
1. Uttar Pradesh votes in seven phases for the 403 seats:
- Phase I votes on February 11
- Phase II votes on February 15
- Phase III votes on February 19
- Phase IV votes on February 23
- Phase V votes on February 27
- Phase VI votes on March 4
- Phase VII votes on March 8
2. Punjab will vote in a single-phase poll
3. Goa elections will be held in a single phase
4. Manipur elections to be held in 2 phases:
- Phase 1 polling on March 4
- Phase 2 polling on March 8
5. Uttarakhand polls to be held on in a single phase.
Counting will take place on March 11, Saturday, for all the five states.
- All expenses by candidates above Rs 20,000 to be cashless
- The Election Commission announcing the poll dates for Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa, Manipur and Uttarakhand. Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Nasim Zaidi addressing the media.
- Nearly 16 crore voters will be participating in the polls.
- Electoral roll of Goa will be published on Jan 5, Manipur on Jan 12, Punjab Jan 5, Uttarakhand on Jan 10 and UP on Jan 12.
- There will be complete accountability of photo voter slips, colourful voter guides will be distributed to each family.
- Height of voting compartment raised to ensure complete privacy.
- Separate polling stations for women in certain areas, all-women polling stations will also be set up.
- 185,000 polling stations in all the five states for 690 assembly seats.
- Ballot paper will have photo of candidates.
- Voter assistant booth for physically challenged in each polling station.
- Coloured voter slips for the first time.
- ECI to distribute Voters’ Guide to facilitate voters; there will be voters Assistance booth manned by officials.
- Every polling station will have 4 posters for voting procedure and dos and don’ts.
- Model code of conduct comes into effect immediately.
- Limit of expense is Rs 28 lakh per candidate in Punjab, Uttarakhand, UP and Rs 20 lakh in Manipur and Goa is Rs 20 lakh.
- Candidates will be required to open bank accounts and expenses over Rs 20,000 will be by way of cheque from this bank account.
- Candidates will be required to affix photo on nomination papers, he will be required to mention that he is citizen of India.