(Before It's News)
We had an intense Facebook discussion yesterdaywith Ulla, Joseph, and Sebastian on rotating magnetic systems and some-one gave a link to a very interesting experiment in which light arrives horizontally in a box and is reflected there in forth and back in a 6-layered structure. See this .
In the intense discussion I misunderstood the system: laser light is not used and it seems that the photons travelling back and forth in the light-box can have almost arbitrary direction due to the repeated reflections. I hope that I understand correctly at this time. I must admit that could not fully understand the illustration of the light-box. Anyone with better visual skills is well-come to help!
It is reported that the presence of light-box reduces the gravitational force on an object above the box and increases it for an object below the light-box.
Could TGD explanation be similar to that as for the reduction of weight of rotating system in G&R experiment?
This might be the case although the reduction of weight is fraction of order .1 per cent and much smaller than the maximal reduction of 35 per cent in G&R experiment. This could be understood if dark photons with energies scale up by factor heff/h=n= hgr result as a small leakage from ordinary photons. In G&R experiments the beam of photons arriving the system is dark.
Consider first how gravitational force by dark gravitons giving rise to momentum exchange along the flux tubes connecting the mass to Earth could work.
- The weight gets momentum increments Δ p assignable to gravitons with some rate and this rise to net momentum transfer rate dp/dt defining gravitational force. Reaction law holds at both ends of the flux tube so that a momentum -Δ p travels along flux tube to Earth getting opposite momentum increment. Note that the direction of Δ p is opposite to the direction of travel of graviton!
- This does not conform with the classical expectation about (virtual) gravitons as a localized wave packets. Momentum increment -Δ p can be said to travel in direction of Δ p rather that in its own direction as one might expect!
- This little argument strongly suggests that gravitation is quantum macroscopic interaction – something totally different from say entropic gravity – and one must speak of non-localized waves of momentum Δ in the scale of the entire system even in astrophysical situations so that classical intuition fails. This is what TGD indeed predicts via heff/h=n= hgr hypothesis.
What happens as one adds light-box below the mass?
- One would expect that some fraction of photons from lightbox leaks out as dark photons with some rate at least if quantum criticality in some sense is realized: I do not know whether this is the case. Part of dark photons could leak to the magnetic flux tubes mediating gravitational interaction to the mass.
- If also the virtual dark photons as macroscopically coherent quantum states have momentum increment Δ p opposite to the direction of classical motion, Δ p is directed downwards and the effective weight should be increase if the box is below the mass. If the box is above the mass the effective weight is reduced.
This is what has been reported in the article. From the size of the reduction one in principle could get idea about the rate for transformation of ordinary visible photons to dark photons.
Note that this model could also explain the well-known fluctuations in the value of gravitational constant measurements.
For a summary of earlier postings see Latest progress in TGD.
Articles and other material related to TGD.