On Tuesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher tabbed Jared Goff as the starting quarterback, replacing Case Keenum.
“It’s time,” Fisher said per Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “It’s time to move on.”
Goff, 22, will make his regular-season debut Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. Fisher said it was not a short-term decision.
“I don’t want to say it’s a new era, a new start,” Fisher said, “but in a lot of ways it is.”
On Tuesday Goff took first-team snaps as the No. 1 quarterback for the first time. He said he was excited about the opportunity to start and had been ready for a while.
“I’m glad it’s finally come,” he said, “glad they’ve given me that vote of confidence and the nod.
“I’m ready to go and prove them right.”
Fisher had been adamant that Keenum was not the problem for a team that had lost four games in a row and scored only two touchdowns in the last three games.
Even after Sunday’s 9-6 victory over the New York Jets — which featured no touchdowns by the Rams — Fisher said he was not considering a change at quarterback. On Monday, Fisher said Goff was No. 2.
But Tuesday, he informed Goff and Keenum of the move.
“My heart was getting closer and closer over the last couple weeks,” Fisher said. “And I felt like this was the best time to turn the keys over to Jared.”
Asked if the decision to go with Goff now was collaborative — if it involved owner Stan Kroenke and General Manager Les Snead — Fisher took responsibility.
“It was my decision,” he said. “I informed Stan, for obvious reasons. I told him this is the direction I wanted to go and we’re going that way.”