By John Farnam
Ft Collins, CO –-(Ammoland.com)- “Show me a hero and I’ll write you a tragedy.” ~ F Scott Fitzgerald
John Churchill, better known in an historical context as “First Duke of Marlborough,” like Tom “Stonewall” Jackson, Erwin Rommel, George Patton, Georgy Zhukov, Doug MacArthur, and, in our age, Jim “Mad Dog” Mattis, are members of a rare fraternity of naturally-gifted military geniuses who predictably make politicians, at once, confident and nervous!
What is found with all:
1) They lead from the front. Inspiring leaders share adversity and danger with front-line soldiers, always at great personal risk. Both Marlborough and Jackson had multiple horses shot-out from under them while fearlessly, even recklessly, invigorating their troops at the very edge of the battle area. They are unafraid, and their troops love them, and will follow them anywhere!
They are universally revered, even by the enemy! Lesser commanders are ensconced in heavily-guarded bunkers, far from the fighting. They don’t inspire much confidence!
2) They are solidly in command. They seek competent counsel, but when the order is given, discussion is over, and everyone knows it! There is scant murmuring, because they inspire, rather than try to “impress,” their lieutenants.
3) They are durable. They deal with triumph and disaster with identical disdain. They are not overly impressed with themselves when things go well, nor are they are not undone by catastrophe. They always come bouncing back. You can depend on it!
4) They live by a Code of Honor. They never disgrace their Corps, nor their family’s name, nor their profession, and they never make excuses for themselves. They are genuinely good and decent people, respectable and respected. They understand their place in history and their mission, and they pursue it with a savage joy!
5) Their hearts are broken when their men are hurt and killed. They are only human! With heavy heart, they hold the hands of the dead and dying!
6) They are always feared, and eventually hated, by the sleazy and discredited among politicians, because the sleazy know and understand that they personally do not begin to measure-up, and they suspect everyone else knows it too!
As the poet said:
“All this with gallant hearts is done; All this with patient hearts is borne: And they by whom the laurel’s won Are seldom they by whom ’tis worn.” ~ From “The Due of the Dead,” by William Thackeray
It looks as if Jim Mattis, not surprisingly rejected by the BHO Administration for the crime of “malicious respectability,” will be with us once more, now under the DJT (Donald J Trump) Administration, along with a number of other similarly feared, and then forced-out, heroes.
An inspiration to us all, Jim will be on the leading edge of a new era.
History is looking up!
“No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it’s over. We may even ‘declare’ it over,’ but in fact, the enemy gets a vote!” ~ Gen Jim “Mad Dog” Mattis
About John Farnam & Defense Training International, Inc
As a defensive weapons and tactics instructor John Farnam will urge you, based on your own beliefs, to make up your mind in advance as to what you would do when faced with an imminent and unlawful lethal threat. You should, of course, also decide what preparations you should make in advance, if any. Defense Training International wants to make sure that their students fully understand the physical, legal, psychological, and societal consequences of their actions or inactions.
It is our duty to make you aware of certain unpleasant physical realities intrinsic to the Planet Earth. Mr Farnam is happy to be your counselor and advisor. Visit: www.defense-training.com
This post Jim “Mad Dog” Mattis is Tops in the Running for Trumpmaerica’s Secretary of Defense appeared first on AmmoLand.com Shooting Sports News .