Read the story here. Advertise at Before It's News here.
Profile image
Story Views
Last hour:
Last 24 hours:

Group urges Obama to close ‘Boyfriend Loophole’ through executive order

% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.

The women’s group known as UltraViolet on Monday delivered a petition containing some 44,000 signatures to President Obama in an attempt to reduce domestic violence deaths by closing what is known as the “Boyfriend Loophole.”

The group calls domestic homicides a “dire issue” for women, which statistics from the Department of Justice, make up the overwhelming majority – over 80 percent – of domestic violence victims, with a domestic assault occurring once every nine seconds in the United States. Of the incidents that turn fatal, just over half – 51 percent – of the attackers use guns, with the remaining 49 percent opting for other instruments of death, such as knives, blunt objects and bodily force.

According to the group, which is self-described as “a powerful and rapidly growing community of people from all walks of life mobilized to fight sexism and expand women’s rights,” domestic abusers and stalkers are allowed to legally obtain firearms in 35 states through the loophole, and the group is calling on the president to pass gun control measures through his power of executive action, “without congressional approval,” to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous abusers.

“Stalkers and abusers simply shouldn’t have access to guns – and when they do, women die,” said UltraViolet co-founder Shaunna Thomas in a press release. “President Obama could save countless women’s lives by taking action today.”

The group cites a 2003 study claiming the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the chances of a woman being killed by 500 percent.

Related: Does the presence of a firearm escalate domestic violence to murder?

Currently, federal law prohibits individuals convicted of domestic violence from possessing firearms, but, with the exception of 10 states, measures aren’t necessarily taken to ensure those individuals turn over firearms they already own. However, these protective measures specifically address married couples or couples who are or at one time were living together, but exclude those in current or prior relationships who were never married or lived together.

Furthermore, individual states are also left with the responsibility to independently report crimes committed which may bar certain individuals from purchasing a gun and therefore be flagged during a background check, something which doesn’t always happen.

The post Group urges Obama to close ‘Boyfriend Loophole’ through executive order appeared first on


Before It’s News® is a community of individuals who report on what’s going on around them, from all around the world.

Anyone can join.
Anyone can contribute.
Anyone can become informed about their world.

"United We Stand" Click Here To Create Your Personal Citizen Journalist Account Today, Be Sure To Invite Your Friends.

Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!

Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at M - F 9am to 5pm EST

Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at M - F 9am to 5pm EST

Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at M - F 9am to 5pm EST

Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!

HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation.

Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.

MitoCopper - Bioavailable Copper destroys pathogens and gives you more energy. (See Blood Video)

Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser!  Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!

Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.

Smart Meter Cover -  Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video).

Report abuse


    Your Comments
    Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

    Load more ...




    Email this story
    Email this story

    If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

    If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.