Bacillus subtilis is a rod-shaped, Gram-positive bacteria that is found in soil and the gut of humans and some types of animals. Also known as Bacillus uniflagellatus, Bacillus globigii, and Bacillus natto, Bacillus subtilis is commonly included in probiotic supplement formulations. It’s a useful and beneficial probiotic that supports digestion, enzyme production, and helps maintain a healthy gut.
Gut Health and Strain Survivability
The main health benefit of Bacillus subtilis is its ability to help balance the gut, a trait it shares with other probiotics. Bacillus subtilis is a robust strain that’s not only able to withstand the gastrointestinal tract but flourish and positively affect the composition of the microbiota. It does this by forming endospores—durable protein envelopes that protect it from heat, light, and other stressors. Because Bacillus subtilis is so vigorous, it’s especially valuable in probiotic supplement formulas where it’s able to remain viable during manufacturing, packaging, and shipping. In fact, the survivability of this species is so great that Bacillus subtilis is used to study the behavior of microorganisms in space. One study reported that Bacillus subtilis could survive up to six years in space when protected from UV rays.
Resists Harmful Organism Overgrowth
Studies have shown that this probiotic can produce compounds that are naturally disruptive to harmful organisms. In essence, Bacillus subtilis helps displace unfriendly organisms in the body by affecting their ability to colonize.
Supports Enzyme Production
Enzymes and probiotics have a symbiotic relationship. Both are critical for digestive and gastrointestinal health. Individually, not only do enzymes promote intestinal integrity, they help create an environment that’s favorable to probiotic bacteria. In turn, Bacillus subtilis supports the production of beneficial enzymes in the gut, including amylase, protease, pullulanase, chitinase, xylanase, and lipase.
Other Health Benefits
Bacillus subtilis offers other incredible health benefits. It may support a healthy immune system, especially in older adults. It also protects the integrity of its DNA—a trait that makes it resistant to mutation. And, perhaps best of all, Bacillus subtilis contributes to a healthy digestive system.
Bacillus subtilis History and Safety
Originally called Vibrio subtilis by Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg, a prolific German scientist, Bacillus subtilis was given its current name in 1872 by Ferdinand Cohn, a botanist and one of the founders of bacteriology. In the early 20th century, the strain was popular as a natural means for supporting gastrointestinal health. Since then, it has been used in animal feed, probiotic supplements, and food production. Bacillus subtilis is used in Japan and Korea to produce fermented soybean dishes. This bacteria is considered safe and beneficial for human consumption by both the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Best Forms of Bacillus subtilis
Bacillus subtilis is readily found in soil—a testament to its ability to withstand environmental stressors. But, that doesn’t mean you need to eat a plate of dirt to introduce Bacillus subtilis to your gut. Some fermented foods, such as natto—a fermented soybean dish that’s popular in Japan—are a source of Bacillus subtilis and other probiotics. Many people find that the easiest and most consistent way to reliably strengthen their gut with Bacillus subtilis is with the help of a trusted, high-quality probiotic supplement.
Global Healing Center has created Floratrex™, a one-of-a-kind probiotic formula that features Bacillus subtilis along with over twenty other highly beneficial probiotic strains. It’s the ultimate product for supporting normal digestion, metabolism, and gut health. Floratrex is formulated with prebiotics to help the probiotics flourish, and it’s available in two options—25 or 50 billion CFUs. CFUs, or colony forming units, refer to individual colonies of bacteria. The more CFUs, the better the strain’s potential for success.
Does your probiotic supplement provide Bacillus subtilis? What benefits have you noticed? Leave a comment below and share your experience with us.
- Oggioni, Marco Rinaldo, et al. “Recurrent Septicemia in an Immunocompromised Patient Due to Probiotic Strains of Bacillus Subtilis.” Journal of Clinical Microbiology 36.1 (1998): 325–326.
- Mckenney, P.T., Driks, A., Eichenberger, P. “The Bacillus subtilis endospore: assembly and functions of the multilayered coat.” Nat Rev Microbiol. (2013): 33-44.
- Kacena, M., Merrell, G., Manfredi, B., et al. “Bacterial growth in space flight: logistic growth curve parameters for Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis.” Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. (1999): 229.
- Horneck, Gerda, Klaus, David M., and Rocco L. Mancinelli. “Space Microbiology.” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews . (2010): 121–156.
- Tamehiro, Norimasa, et al. “Bacilysocin, a Novel Phospholipid Antibiotic Produced by Bacillus Subtilis 168.” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 46.2 (2002): 315–320.
- Latorre, J.D., Hernandez-velasco, X., Wolfenden, R.E., et al. “Evaluation and Selection of Bacillus Species Based on Enzyme Production, Antimicrobial Activity, and Biofilm Synthesis as Direct-Fed Microbial Candidates for Poultry.” Front Vet Sci. (2016): 95.
- Lefevre, Marie, et al. “Probiotic Strain Bacillus Subtilis CU1 Stimulates Immune System of Elderly during Common Infectious Disease Period: A Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study.” Immunity & Ageing : (2015): 24.
- Lenhart, Justin S., et al. “DNA Repair and Genome Maintenance in Bacillus Subtilis.” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews: (2012): 530–564.
- Khatri, Indu, et al. “Complete Genomes of Bacillus Coagulans S-Lac and Bacillus Subtilis TO-A JPC, Two Phylogenetically Distinct Probiotics.” Ed. Niyaz Ahmed. PLoS ONE 11.6 (2016):
- Kubo, Yuji, et al. “Phylogenetic Analysis of Bacillus Subtilis Strains Applicable to Natto (Fermented Soybean) Production.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77.18 (2011): 6463–6469.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.