Appalachian Voices is a leading nonprofit advocate for a healthy environment and just economy in the Appalachian region, and a driving force in America’s shift from fossil fuels to a clean energy future. We currently have 30 staff members working from offices in Charlottesville and Norton, Va., Durham and Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tenn. This position could be based at any of our locations.This is a dynamic time for the organization having grown in both size and impact, further enabling Appalachian Voices to meet and seize on the critical opportunities before the region.
We are seeking an energetic and financially savvy leader to serve as a Director of Finance and Operations. The ideal candidate will be innovative, driven and results-oriented, with a deep appreciation for Appalachian Voices’ mission and the people they serve. This position will lead our finance, accounting, and human resources functions that fuel our progress toward impact, sustainability, and scale. The Director will report to the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director. To be successful, the Director of Finance and Operations will work closely with all levels of management and staff across our regional offices to drive financial planning, budgeting, accountability, and reporting.
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and oversee all aspects of accounting/finance operations and ensure the integrity of all financial and accounting records.
- Manage efficient and effective accounting and internal control systems and processes, and financial management infrastructure of systems, processes and procedures for forecasting, budgeting, monitoring, analysis and reporting
- Ensure compliance with all GAAP and regulatory requirements
- Manage internal financial analysis and all internal financial reporting including materials to be prepared for the Board of Directors.
- Develop and manage annual organizational and program budgets and assist in revenue projection.
- Direct annual audit process.
- Oversee revenue tracking and manage restricted grants and charitable donations to ensure compliance with grant agreements and prepare necessary reporting documents.
- Manage fiscal sponsorships and pass-through funding.
- Manage HR policies and procedures, employee benefits programs, oversee onboarding, provide support to staff, and ensure compliance with internal policies as well as state and federal law.
- Develop, implement, and review processes and procedures critical to organizational infrastructure. Monitor organizational compliance with Labor & Employment Law and IRS regulations and official guidance.
- Oversee liability risk mitigation through identifying organizational risks and obtaining appropriate insurance coverage.
- Review, execute, and archive business contracts and fiscal sponsorship agreements.
- Anticipate and identify needed IT solutions, including SaaS, and lead IT implementation processes for the organization’s financial operations.
- Manage the Operations Team staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- At least ten (10) years of accounting experience with a preference for candidates with five (5) years of nonprofit financial management.
- Superior understanding of all aspects of nonprofit accounting and financial management, appropriate knowledge of tax laws and related issues and regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations, including federal and state filings and sound internal controls.
- Experience managing nonprofit audits is preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel, G Suite, QuickBooks. Preference for candidates with experience with constituent relationship management software and time-tracking and expense software.
- Good communications skill, both written and verbal.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Ability to produce high quality work and exercise good judgment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
This is a full-time position. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
This is a senior-level management position. Targeted hiring range is between $65,000 – $80,000.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Interviews will start in early May and the target employment date is June 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a cover letter (no longer than one page) that highlights your skills and experience transferable to this position, as well as what interests you in working with Appalachian Voices, to [email protected] with “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Recommendation letters will also be gladly accepted. Questions about the position welcomed via email at [email protected]
Protecting the Central and Southern Appalachian Mountain Region
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)