Appalachian Voices seeks an experienced, motivated and creative Project Manager to provide essential capacity to its recently funded Energy Storage and Electrification Manufacturing Jobs project (ESEM), which will support the build out of a clean-tech manufacturing hub in Southwest Virginia.
This exciting collaborative effort brings together a strong team of technical service providers, economic development institutions, leading experts in the clean tech field, and locally rooted manufacturers seeking to transition beyond the coal supply chain into the next generation of energy. An executive summary of the project is available upon request.
Project leadership is based out of Appalachian Voices’ office in Norton, Virginia. We seek an individual who is located within or in close proximity to the far Southwest Virginia region. The Project Manager (PM) position is a part time independent contractor role. Experience and/or comfort working in an independent contractor capacity is required. Engagement in the project will require a blend of virtual and face-to-face interaction, including travel within the project geography, which includes Wise, Tazewell and Buchanan counties. Working hours will include engagement during regular business hours, with flexibility to complete some responsibilities evenings and weekends.
Project funding is secured for a two year period. Additional paid hours per week or extension of engagement beyond the two year project period is possible, though not guaranteed at this time. Additional hours via a separate contract may be added in support of other aspects of Appalachian Voices’ New Economy Program, including redevelopment of previously mined land and/or clean energy project finance- utilizing similar skillset as described below. Respondents are encouraged to express interest in additional engagement beyond the scope of work specific to the ESEM project.
The targeted rate for this position is $50 per hour for an average of 15 hours per week over a two year period. The hourly rate may be negotiated based on experience.
Scope of Work
- The Energy Storage and Electrification Manufacturing Jobs Project Manager (PM) position will be responsible for managing the workflow of the overall effort. The PM will work closely with the project leads to coordinate a diverse set of activities related to the project. The PM will carry out the following specific duties/roles:
- Project workflow management: The primary role of the PM will be to assist the project leads in establishing and maintaining an effective workflow management strategy. The PM will be responsible for ensuring tasks are assigned to responsible parties, tracking progress, meeting support and managing internal and external due dates. The PM will have strong support in this responsibility from the project leads.
- Lead vetting and opportunity research: The PM will be responsible for assisting the team in evaluating new opportunities, potential stakeholders, and leads throughout the project timeline. The PM will need to rapidly and effectively research a broad spectrum of subjects and provide summary and analysis to the project team.
- Materials development: The PM will be responsible for drafting and editing outreach and engagement materials as necessary, including materials for press engagement and social media. The PM will receive direction from the project leads on the content of such materials.
- Stakeholder outreach, engagement, and coordination: The PM will assist the project leads in stakeholder outreach and engagement as necessary.
- Impact tracking and reporting: The PM will be responsible for collecting and assembling project impact metric data for internal and external use. They will work closely with the project lead to meet grant reporting requirements, including helping to assemble quarterly narrative reports and remittance requests.
- Logistics for meeting/travel: The PM may provide assistance to the project leads in setting up logistics for travel and meetings, such as identifying meeting space, arranging supplies and refreshments, and arranging travel/lodging logistics.
- Positive attitude, collaborative spirit, and good sense of humor;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; the ability to quickly identify barriers, seek out resources and pathways to success;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in managing and coordinating projects is required but 5 years is preferred;
- Proven track record of building and managing relationships with private and non-profit sector partners;
- Strong communication skills: meeting facilitation, partner engagement, email and written communication and;
- Knowledge of the clean tech sector (batteries, electrification) is desirable but not required.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Comfortable working with a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Able to self-direct work duties while working within a team structure;
- Prompt and clear with internal or external communications;
- A strategic thinker who is able to guide a project to achieve the stated objectives;
- Be comfortable creating project plans with clear project ownership, milestones, and metrics for regular reporting and;
- Adaptable and flexible with regard to taking on different tasks and responsibilities.
- Applications will be accepted immediately and on a rolling basis until filled, with an initial review in late April. We seek an individual with the capacity to begin immediately.
- Applications should include a cover letter and resume in a single combined PDF document.
- In the cover letter please address the following in 1,000 words or less:
- What draws you to this project;
- Your ability to work in the geographic scope of the project and how the timing and workload described above fit with your current/future workflow;
- Details about billing rates if not included elsewhere in response;
- What is your vision for economic and community development in Appalachia?;
- Anything else that may be relevant.
About Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Knoxville, Tenn., and Durham, N.C.
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Protecting the Central and Southern Appalachian Mountain Region
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.