- 1981 – 1B/OF Garrett Jones was born in Harvey, Illinois. He was a Bucco platoon middle-of-the order presence against RHP from 2009-13 after being signed as a minor league FA from the Minnesota Twins organization. He hit 100 HR and had a .256 BA in Pittsburgh before moving on as a FA in 2014. Garrett was known as “GI Jones,” a play on GI Joe.
|GI Jones – 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter
- 1989 – Doug Drabek and Greg Maddux hooked up in a classic pitching duel, though neither was around at the finish, as the Cubs beat the Bucs 1-0 at TRS. Maddux went 10 frames of six-hit ball while Drabek went nine, giving up five knocks. Future Bucco skipper Lloyd McClendon’s sac fly off Doug Bair brought home future Bucco coach & scout Gary Varsho in the 11th for the game’s only tally.
- 1998 – Three Pirate relievers surrendered five runs to the Brew Crew in the final two frames, but the Bucs hung on to take an 8-7 win at County Stadium. The Pirate hero was Jose Guillen, who smacked a grand slam in the third inning off Jeff Juden. Esteban Loaiza won his fifth game in spite of the bullpen meltdown.
- 2003 – The Pirates edged the Indians‚ 7-6, for their second straight 15-inning victory over the Tribe, claiming a 5-4 win the day before. It was the first time since 1996 that two teams had played consecutive 15-inning contests. The win was highlighted by a web gem grab by Brian Giles, stealing a two-run homer bid from Brandon Phillips in the eighth inning and as described by ESPN: “Giles pushed off the fence with his foot to elevate himself, stretched his glove over the 6-foot fence and pulled the ball back from the second row of the stands.” The yard was rockin’ from the crowd of 36,856, which included many Cleveland fans, and was the Pirates’ first sellout of the year.
- 2005 – Matt Lawton drove in five runs and scored twice, banging a homer and double, to lead the Pirates to an 11-4 win over the Nationals at PNC Park. Lawton went 3-for-5, Daryle Ward drove home three runs, and Ollie Perez pitched six frames for the win. The Pirates banged out 14 hits, seven for extra bases (one HR & six doubles).
- 2008 – In a pre-game ceremony at PNC Park, the Pirates officially presented the family of Roberto Clemente with his trophy after Arriba was named to Rawlings’ All-Time Gold Glove Team. The Bucs went on to defeat the Toronto Blue Jays 6-3 behind two-run homers by Jay Bay, Raul Chavez and Jose Bautista in front of 27,014 fans.
|Erik Kratz – photo 6/20/2016 Pgh Pirates
- 2016 – Ma, I’m In the Record Book: Erik Kratz, who tossed an inning while an Angel in April, became the first player in the modern era to catch and pitch for two teams in the same season when he flipped a scoreless ninth inning during the Pirates’ 15-4 loss to the Giants at PNC Park.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com
Get our Free Ebook, "Suppressed Health Secrets" with Natural Cures THEY don't want you to know!
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Organic Hemp Extract (CBD) - Full Spectrum high CBD (3300mg) hemp extract eases stiff joints, relieves stress and more!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)