Why Democrats Want to Abolish Electoral College
If today’s radicalized Democrats seize sufficient power, it won’t be a matter of enduring a few years of poor government while we wait for the pendulum to swing back. They plan to inflict irreversible damage. One example is demographic transformation resulting from the open border. Another is their assault on the Electoral College:
Desperate to bring the Tyranny of the Majority to our representative democracy, on the first day Democrats assumed control of the House of Representatives, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) submitted a bill to kill the electoral college.
Tyranny of the majority was a major concern of the Founding Fathers, who set up a democratic republic, not a democracy. They did not want a system that would allow 51% to enslave the other 49%, or cities to lord it over less densely populated areas.
Without the electoral college, presidential candidates would naturally concentrate on where people are concentrated: urban areas. The rest of the country would be left unrepresented.
Amending the Constitution won’t work. There is too much resistance to such a ham-fisted power play by densely populated, leftist-dominated states like California and New York. So they have devised an end run around the Constitution called National Popular Vote, which is intended to impose direct popular vote by interstate compact.
Already alarmed back in 2015, Electoral College expert Tara Ross explained why this venerable institution is so crucial:
The purpose of progressivism is to centralize power in the fist of an ideologically homogenous elite. The Constitution is their primary obstacle. Their war on it did not start with the Electoral College, nor will it end there.
Progressives struck a blow against the ingenious system set up by the Founders when they passed the 17th Amendment. Consequently, Senators are now elected by popular vote instead of state legislatures. This undermines a primary purpose of the Senate, which is to represent states as government entities, thereby balancing the centralized power of the federal government. Today’s progressives want to inflict worse damage by doing away with the Senate altogether.
On tips from 1-Bodhisattva and Ol’ Uncle Lar.