Notes: Guys on the Go
Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:50
% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.
This week’s name game…
- Jason Rollison of Bucs Dugout posts that the Bucs and BoSox are in the preliminary phase of kicking around a deal for Fran Cervelli.
|Red Sox are sniffing around Topps 2018|
- Will Leitch of MLB.com picked his Top Ten MLB rotations and the Pirates slotted at #10, although he adds that “they could probably use an upgrade on the backend.”
- Do ya wonder why the Bucs weren’t in this year’s Nathan Eovaldi sweepstakes? He reportedly just signed a four-year/$67.5M deal to return to Boston.
- The PTBNL in the Tanner Anderson deal with Oakland last month was RHP Wilkin Ramos, an 18-year-old lotto ticket, who pitched in the Dominican Summer League but not stateside yet.
- Ivan Nova switched agents; he’s left the Legacy Agency and is now with the Wasserman Group. He’ll be a FA at the end of the 2019 campaign.
- Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic wrote in a notes column (behind a paywall) that Neil Huntington was on the short list of GM candidates for San Francisco, but chose not to pursue the opportunity.
- RHP Juan Nicasio was part of the Seattle-Philly deal headlining Jean Segura; he’s returning to the Phils’ club that claimed and quickly flipped him in 2017.
- The Giants didn’t offer contracts to OF Gorkys Hernandez or RHP Hunter Strickland, making them free agents. Gorkys, 31, had a couple of cups of coffee with the Bucs while Strickland, 30, put together a solid five-year run with the G-Men after languishing in the Pirates farm system and being waived.
- The Rangers cut loose RHP Adrian Sampson. Sampson, 27, was the Bucco minor leaguer who was sent to Seattle for JA Happ in 2015. He’s gotten five MLB starts since and is still looking for his first win.
|Petey gets another look Topps Stadium Lights 2011|
- OF Harold Ramirez, 24, who the Bucs jettisoned to Toronto to get help rid themselves of Frankie Liriano, won last season’s AA Eastern League batting title, slashing .320/.365/.471, and switched clubs, inking a farm deal with the Marlins. He was a Bucco Top 10 prospect at the time of the Liriano deal; it’ll be interesting to see how he competes in Miami. Pedro Alvarez also signed a MiLB contract with the Fish; both guys are non-roster invitees to camp. The Marlins also picked up recently released Bucco ass’t hitting coach Jeff Livesley; he’ll fill the same position in SoFla.
- Pedro Florimon signed a minor-league contract with the Braves. He’s made MLB stops in each of the last eight seasons as a depth guy. Pedro has appeared in more than 50 games in a campaign just once during that span, thanks largely to his .211 career BA.
- Ron Morris of Baseball America profiles the Bucs #1 pick in 1995, CF Chad Hermansen, with a “where-are-they/what happened” story.
- The Cards upped the ante in the Central by trading for Paul Goldschmidt, giving up a few spare pieces for a year of service.