Faith in America has been under attack in the United States for decades.
For the most part the attacks on religious freedom have come from atheists and groups such as the ACLU who are promoting “freedom from religion” not “freedom of religion.” To atheists and liberals the definition of religious freedom is the gagging of all public religious expression while amplifying hatred against the faithful.
This is exemplified in lawsuits such as the one which removed prayer from our schools and other lawsuits to stop the recognition of God before city council meetings as just two examples. Lawsuits have even been brought to stop astronauts from praying in outer space and to take “in God we trust” from our currency.
In the past few decades Bibles have been ripped from the hands of students on school buses and children have been given an “F” or “zero” credit for historical reports that mentioned Jesus or any other Biblical historical figure. The courts have mostly gone along with the demands of the secularists; however, the various state governments, our Congress and our Presidents have stood by the Judeo-Christians roots of our nation.
That is, up until now!
Our current President, Barack Obama, has trampled on the religious freedoms of Christians. His Administration has demanded that Christian organizations have the same employment rules as night clubs and abortion clinics.
He has forced religious employers to furnish health insurance that includes contraceptives and sterilization. Here are just some of the areas of attack by Barack Obama on the religious liberties of Christians.
• The Obama State Department is negotiating with the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to enact speech laws in America requiring “respect” for Islam. Under just such laws, many Christians are even now rotting in jails in Islamic countries.
• So far, each year of his presidency Obama has declined to host at the White House the traditional services for the National Day of Prayer (a day authorized by Congress). Yet, every year he has personally hosted an Iftar dinner honoring Islam, and has recognized Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adha.
• Obama directed the Department of Justice to STOP defending the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), a duly enacted law of Congress.
• Obama allows homosexuals to serve openly in the military, reversing a policy originally instituted by George Washington in March 1778.
The Obama Pentagon has directed that military chaplains may perform same-sex marriages on military bases, in violation of DOMA.
• Obama deliberately OMITS the phrase “endowed by their Creator” when quoting the Declaration of Independence – an omission he has made on no less than seven occasions.
• The Air Force (under the Obama watch) removed “God” from the motto of the Rapid Capabilities unit. (February, 2012)
• Obama outright defied a Supreme Court ruling that the Mojave Desert Cross should be put back near the Memorial.
As Chairman of the Religious Freedom Coalition, headquartered in Washington, DC, I know firsthand how the Obama administration first defunded, then conspired to shut down the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF).
Obama wants the American public to believe shariah law, which permits honor killings, is no different than American Constitutional Law. And the USCIRF’s bleak reports about religious persecution in Islamic nations point the finger directly back at Obama. That is why Obama wanted to destroy the USCIRF — to shield radical Islamic nations from public criticism for things such as honor killings.
That’s why he recruited Sen. Dick Durbin, from Obama’s home state of Illinois, to spearhead the attack on the commission. After the House voted to fund the USCIRF last year, Majority Whip Durbin held the funds hostage in the U.S. Senate. Read more on the Obama attack on the USCIRF here.
Congress must act to counter the war that President Barack Obama and his Administration are waging against religious freedom. Add your voice by helping the Religious Freedom Coalition to run newspaper ads during this crucial year of decision asking Congress to protect our religious freedom. These newspaper ads will continue to run as long as Barack Obama continues his war on religious faith. The ads remind all Americans of the anti-religious freedom agenda of the Obama Administration and encourage them to urge their congressmen and Senators to step forward and protect our freedom of religion given us under the Constitution.