Venezuela's electoral council on Thursday night suspended the next phase of a recall referendum against unpopular President Nicolas Maduro, drawing fire from the opposition.
Citing court orders, the electoral body said a signature drive planned for next week was suspended. Earlier on Thursday, Venezuelan ruling party officials said regional courts in at least four states had voided the opposition's drive, which they say has been plagued with fraud.
The opposition blasted the decision as an undemocratic move designed to dodge a vote against the Socialist president, who polls show would lose a plebiscite amid an economic crisis in the OPEC country that has food running short and inflation in triple digits …. http://www.reuters.com