(Before It's News)
By Edith M. Lederer
UNITED NATIONS — A network of organizations seeking to protect children in conflict urged U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday to add 11 parties to the blacklist of countries and armed groups responsible for grave violations against children.
The Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict’s recommended additions included the Saudi Arabia-led coalition in Yemen, which was taken off last year’s list by then Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon after the Saudis and their supporters threatened to stop funding many United Nations programs.
Watchlist also called for the adding of the Israel Defense Forces, which were kept off the 2015 list after lobbying by the United States and the Israeli government. The network said the Israeli military should be added for killing and injuring children and attacking schools and hospitals in Gaza and the West Bank.
What’s most important from where the world meets Washington
The U.N. chief’s annual report on children and armed conflict, which contains the blacklist, is usually released in May or June.
The June 2016 report initially named nine governmental security forces and 51 armed groups that committed grave violations against children in 2015.
“The new secretary-general has an opportunity to send a clear message to all member states that a party to conflict is listed for one reason alone — a pattern of documented, U.N. verified evidence of grave violations against children,” Watchlist advocacy officer Dragica Mikavica said in a statement.
Philosophers stone – selected views from the boat http://philosophers-stone.co.uk