Cozonac or kozunuk, a traditional Romanian & Bulgarian festive sweet bread, which is usually prepare during Easter. It is actually quite similar to stollen, the German festive bread & panettone, the Italian festive bread, which is sweet and with load of dried fruits.
On this recipe, I am using bread flour but if you prefer cake like texture, you may replace bread flour with all purpose flour. The texture is actually quite similar to brioche but less egg added in.
330gm bread flour / high protein flour
1-1/4 tspn yeast
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup full cream milk
1 whole egg + 1 egg white
2-1/2 TB sugar
1 lemon rind
1/2 cup dried cranberry, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
* Egg glazing : 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tspn milk
* 1 cup almond mealed for topping
(1) heat milk, butter & sugar to dissolve (do not boil), set aside to cool.
(2) now, add in eggs, yeast, lemon rind & 1 cup of flour and mix well. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
(3) stir in the rest of the flour, raisins & cranberry and knead to form soft dough then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(4) once its ready, punch dough to release excess air and knead till smooth.
(5) place dough to working table and divide into half, simply roll dough into rope shape and then twist dough together. Let to rest in a 4x4x9″ baking tray lined with parchment paper for 30 minutes.
(6) brush dough with egg glazing then sprinkle on the almond mealed.
(7) finally, bake at preheated oven 185′C for 10 minutes with a cover on top (e.g.foil or tray) then remove the tray or foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes or till brown.
(8) rest for 10 minutes before removing from tray.
It looks very much like babka.
This is fantastic to serve in toast or french toast with load of butter. Yummm….. Hope everyone will have a great week ahead. Enjoy !