The Vitamin Deficiency No One Is Talking About
Eating a plant-based diet is one of the most healthful actions you can take, but it carries the very serious and potentially fatal risk of vitamin B12 deficiency. Although plant-based diets are full of other vitamins and minerals, they are generally devoid of vitamin B12.
What is vitamin B12 and what does it do?
Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia that makes people tired and weak.
Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food. First, hydrochloric acid in the stomach separates vitamin B12 from the protein to which vitamin B12 is attached in food. After this, vitamin B12 combines with a protein made by the stomach called intrinsic factor and is absorbed by the body. Some people have pernicious anemia, a condition in which they cannot make intrinsic factor. As a result, they have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from all foods and dietary supplements.
Vitamin B12 – Prevent Deficiency – Micronutrients on a Vegan Diet
Vitamin B12, or cobalamin, is naturally found in animal foods or bacteria. Animals obtain vitamin B12 by eating foods that are covered in bacteria or from the bacteria that already line their own guts. Humans have lots of bacteria in their guts, but only in the colon. Unfortunately, humans are unable to absorb the vitamin B12 produced in the colon because vitamin B12 is only absorbed in the small intestine, which is upstream of the colon.
Intake recommendations for vitamin B12 and other nutrients are provided in the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) developed by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academies (formerly National Academy of Sciences) . DRI is the general term for a set of reference values used for planning and assessing nutrient intakes of healthy people. These values, which vary by age and gender , include:
- Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA): Average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97%–98%) healthy individuals; often used to plan nutritionally adequate diets for individuals.
- Adequate Intake (AI): Intake at this level is assumed to ensure nutritional adequacy; established when evidence is insufficient to develop an RDA.
- Estimated Average Requirement (EAR): Average daily level of intake estimated to meet the requirements of 50% of healthy individuals; usually used to assess the nutrient intakes of groups of people and to plan nutritionally adequate diets for them; can also be used to assess the nutrient intakes of individuals.
- Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL): Maximum daily intake unlikely to cause adverse health effects.
Table 1 lists the current RDAs for vitamin B12 in micrograms (mcg) . For infants aged 0 to 12 months, the FNB established an AI for vitamin B12 that is equivalent to the mean intake of vitamin B12 in healthy, breastfed infants.
|0–6 months*||0.4 mcg||0.4 mcg|
|7–12 months*||0.5 mcg||0.5 mcg|
|1–3 years||0.9 mcg||0.9 mcg|
|4–8 years||1.2 mcg||1.2 mcg|
|9–13 years||1.8 mcg||1.8 mcg|
|14+ years||2.4 mcg||2.4 mcg||2.6 mcg||2.8 mcg|
* Adequate Intake
Sources of Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is naturally found in animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products. Vitamin B12 is generally not present in plant foods, but fortified breakfast cereals are a readily available source of vitamin B12 with high bioavailability for vegetarians [5,13-15]. Some nutritional yeast products also contain vitamin B12. Fortified foods vary in formulation, so it is important to read the Nutrition Facts labels on food products to determine the types and amounts of added nutrients they contain.
Several food sources of vitamin B12 are listed in Table 2.
Table 2: Selected Food Sources of Vitamin B12 
|Clams, cooked, 3 ounces||84.1||1,402|
|Liver, beef, cooked, 3 ounces||70.7||1,178|
|Nutritional yeasts, fortified with 100% of the DV for vitamin B12, 1 serving||6.0||100|
|Trout, rainbow, wild, cooked, 3 ounces||5.4||90|
|Salmon, sockeye, cooked, 3 ounces||4.8||80|
|Trout, rainbow, farmed, cooked, 3 ounces||3.5||58|
|Tuna fish, light, canned in water, 3 ounces||2.5||42|
|Cheeseburger, double patty and bun, 1 sandwich||2.1||35|
|Haddock, cooked, 3 ounces||1.8||30|
|Breakfast cereals, fortified with 25% of the DV for vitamin B12, 1 serving||1.5||25|
|Beef, top sirloin, broiled, 3 ounces||1.4||23|
|Milk, low-fat, 1 cup||1.2||18|
|Yogurt, fruit, low-fat, 8 ounces||1.1||18|
|Cheese, Swiss, 1 ounce||0.9||15|
|Beef taco, 1 soft taco||0.9||15|
|Ham, cured, roasted, 3 ounces||0.6||10|
|Egg, whole, hard boiled, 1 large||0.6||10|
|Chicken, breast meat, roasted, 3 ounces||0.3||5|
*DV = Daily Value. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) developed DVs to help consumers compare the nutrient contents of products within the context of a total diet. The DV for vitamin B12 used for the values in Table 2 is 6.0 mcg for adults and children age 4 years and older . This DV, however, is changing to 2.4 mcg as the updated Nutrition and Supplement Facts labels are implemented . The updated labels and DVs must appear on food products and dietary supplements beginning in January 2020, but they can be used now . FDA does not require food labels to list vitamin B12 content unless a food has been fortified with this nutrient. Foods providing 20% or more of the DV are considered to be high sources of a nutrient, but foods providing lower percentages of the DV also contribute to a healthful diet.
B12 deficiency 👉 Warning Signs & Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Groups at Risk of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
The main causes of vitamin B12 deficiency include vitamin B12 malabsorption from food, pernicious anemia, postsurgical malabsorption, and dietary deficiency . However, in many cases, the cause of vitamin B12 deficiency is unknown. The following groups are among those most likely to be vitamin B12 deficient.
Atrophic gastritis, a condition affecting 10%–30% of older adults, decreases secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, resulting in decreased absorption of vitamin B12 [5,11,35-39]. Decreased hydrochloric acid levels might also increase the growth of normal intestinal bacteria that use vitamin B12, further reducing the amount of vitamin B12 available to the body .
Individuals with atrophic gastritis are unable to absorb the vitamin B12 that is naturally present in food. Most, however, can absorb the synthetic vitamin B12 added to fortified foods and dietary supplements. As a result, the IOM recommends that adults older than 50 years obtain most of their vitamin B12 from vitamin supplements or fortified foods . However, some elderly patients with atrophic gastritis require doses much higher than the RDA to avoid subclinical deficiency .
Individuals with pernicious anemia
Pernicious anemia, a condition that affects 1%–2% of older adults , is characterized by a lack of intrinsic factor. Individuals with pernicious anemia cannot properly absorb vitamin B12 in the gastrointestinal tract [3,5,9,10]. Pernicious anemia is usually treated with intramuscular vitamin B12. However, approximately 1% of oral vitamin B12 can be absorbed passively in the absence of intrinsic factor , suggesting that high oral doses of vitamin B12 might also be an effective treatment.
Individuals with gastrointestinal disorders
Individuals with stomach and small intestine disorders, such as celiac disease and Crohn’s disease, may be unable to absorb enough vitamin B12 from food to maintain healthy body stores [12,26]. Subtly reduced cognitive function resulting from early vitamin B12 deficiency might be the only initial symptom of these intestinal disorders, followed by megaloblastic anemia and dementia.
Individuals who have had gastrointestinal surgery
Surgical procedures in the gastrointestinal tract, such as weight loss surgery or surgery to remove all or part of the stomach, often result in a loss of cells that secrete hydrochloric acid and intrinsic factor [5,42,43]. This reduces the amount of vitamin B12, particularly food-bound vitamin B12 , that the body releases and absorbs. Surgical removal of the distal ileum also can result in the inability to absorb vitamin B12. Individuals undergoing these surgical procedures should be monitored preoperatively and postoperatively for several nutrient deficiencies, including vitamin B12 deficiency .
Strict vegetarians and vegans are at greater risk than lacto-ovo vegetarians and nonvegetarians of developing vitamin B12 deficiency because natural food sources of vitamin B12 are limited to animal foods . Fortified breakfast cereals and fortified nutritional yeasts are some of the only sources of vitamin B12 from plants and can be used as dietary sources of vitamin B12 for strict vegetarians and vegans. Fortified foods vary in formulation, so it is important to read the Nutrition Facts labels on food products to determine the types and amounts of added nutrients they contain.
Pregnant and lactating women who follow strict vegetarian diets and their infants
Vitamin B12 crosses the placenta during pregnancy and is present in breast milk. Exclusively breastfed infants of women who consume no animal products may have very limited reserves of vitamin B12 and can develop vitamin B12 deficiency within months of birth [5,46]. Undetected and untreated vitamin B12 deficiency in infants can result in severe and permanent neurological damage.
The American Dietetic Association recommends supplemental vitamin B12 for vegans and lacto-ovo vegetarians during both pregnancy and lactation to ensure that enough vitamin B12 is transferred to the fetus and infant . Pregnant and lactating women who follow strict vegetarian or vegan diets should consult with a pediatrician regarding vitamin B12 supplements for their infants and children .
What is VeganSafe Vitamin B-12?
VeganSafe B-12 is a certified organic, vegan formula that contains methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, the two most bioactive forms of B-12. Although most of us simply know vitamin B-12 as the B vitamin responsible for energy production, it’s important to understand that “vitamin B-12” is actually a catch-all term for a class of vitamins known as cobalamins — and they’re not equal in their benefits.
The Top 5 Reasons You Need VeganSafe B-12
1. It’s the Best B-12 Available!
Methylcobalamin, or methylated B-12 is the most pure, active, bioavailable coenzyme form of B-12 and when paired with adenosylcobalamin, the other coenzyme form of B-12, forms the most potent B-12 combination available.
2. Encourages Normal Energy Levels
Vitamin B-12 promotes energy production in multiple ways. It supports the adrenal glands, red blood cell formation, and helps convert carbohydrates to glucose — the fuel your body uses for energy.
3. Ultra Absorbable Formula Helps Fight B-12 Deficiency
B-12 deficiency is a serious problem that can cause anemia, fatigue, weakness, constipation, weight loss, depression, poor memory, asthma, vision problems, and low sperm count.
4. Supports Your Body’s Major Processes
As a defense against homocysteine, B-12 is nutritional support for your cardiovascular and nervous systems.
5. Natural Sleep Support
Some research has linked methylcobalamin to positive effects on sleep due to its influence on melatonin secretion and light sensitivity; it also helps normalize a person’s 24-hour clock.
The Health Benefits of VeganSafe B-12
- Nutritionally supports cardiovascular function.
- Promotes nervous system health.
- Fights homocysteine, a cardiovascular stressor.
- Supports adrenal function and energy production.
- Essential for cell growth and replication and DNA production.
- May support a healthy sleep-wake cycle.
Shocking Facts About Vitamin B-12
- As many as 30% of adults over 50 are unable to absorb B-12 in food, making supplementation the best source. Research conducted at the University of Oxford study found that vitamin B-12 deficiency may lead to brain shrinkage. B-12 supplementation is not a cure for Alzheimer’s disease but preliminary reports suggest a link between vitamin B-12 deficiency and Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin B-12 deficiency leads to megaloblastic anemia, a fatigue ridden condition where red blood cells don’t develop properly and can’t carry oxygen efficiently.
Why is VeganSafe B-12 the Best Vitamin B-12 Supplement on the Market?
1. Contains methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, the bioavailable, coenzyme forms of B-12.
2. Highly absorbable, no conversion in the liver is necessary.
3. The European Food Safety Authority reports that the combination of adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin is the best and safest representation of naturally occurring vitamin B-12.
4. VeganSafe B-12 is an easy and delicious liquid formula — no injections.
5. Certified organic, vegan, GMO and gluten free!
6. Made in the USA from globally sourced ingredients and according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs)
The Top 3 Questions People Ask About VeganSafe B-12
What is vitamin B-12? Vitamin B-12, also called cobalamin, is the B vitamin that supports normal functioning of the brain and nervous system, energy production, and for the formation of red blood cells. It’s important to know that vitamin B-12 is a name that refers to a group of vitamins known as cobalamins; this includes methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin, hydroxo-, and cyanocobalm
2. What is hydroxo- and cyanocobalamin? Cheap, lesser quality forms of vitamin B-12 often used by bargain vitamin companies who add them for marketing purposes. Cyanocobalamin contains a cyanide molecule that must be metabolized by the liver. The process of removing the cyanide molecule uses methyl groups normally used to lower homocysteine levels (higher homocysteine cause stress on the heart). Cyanocobalamin robs your body of beneficial methyl groups and is a perfect example of an instance when low-quality vitamins are worse than no vitamins.
3. Why is VeganSafe B-12 superior to other cobalamins? VeganSafe B-12 contains adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin, a combination that’s better absorbed and used more efficiently in your liver, brain, and nervous system. VeganSafe B-12 does not have to be converted in your liver. Methylcobalamin supports vision whereas cyanocobalamin is thought to be ineffective. Cyanocobalmin is also not recommended for people who smoke, have kidney problems, or don’t metabolize cyanide properly.
- “I’m a more productive person. Been using for a few months and I feel loads more energy and more stamina working out. Feel an overall calming long lasting stamina. I don’t sleep all day on my day off work. Have given five bottles to close friends and family. The gift of health is the greatest gift you can give a loved one:)”
“Awesome B-12! I love this form of B-12 much better than taking pills. Easy to take and taste great. Most of all I noticed how it made me feel so much better within minutes. I felt great naturally, calm, relax and just an overall pleasant feeling.” Charles, FL
- “I have found this product to be a most excellent source of B12 supplementation. It’s relative high dose combination of methyl- and adenosylcobalamin plus the relatively low/non-toxic sources of additional ingredients make this one of the best most effective and least toxic form of B12 on the marketplace. I highly reccomend it to everyone. I have many genic snps that make methylation challenging. So I find taking a double dose through the day: first in the morning before Breakfast and then four hours later before Lunch to be the most effective by to use this product for me.”
- “Help for Fibro Myalgia fatigue sufferers.As a life-long Fibro myalgia sufferer I have, in the past, been treated with B12 injections. I can honestly say that this product works as well for me and in many ways better than injections. While there is no magic solution for my health issues, I appreciate having the option of administering B12 to myself and sometimes more than once daily. That’s important to me to be able to decide for myself when I need it, because in the past I would have to go to the Dr and let’s face it you cannot do that daily! The quality is the best I’ve used!”
- “Major Boost! This product is one of my FAVORITES! It is amazing! It gives me energy, reduces my fatigue and even takes away any negative effects from not sleeping. Once in the morning and im very pleased the rest of the day. I will continue to use this product for a very long time.”
“I do buy this over and over again. I use this product every day twice a day. I no longer have to use energy drinks. B-12 has taken the place of this. This definitely works to enhance energy needs.”
- Take 1 dropper (1 ml) daily on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning or early afternoon or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Hold in mouth for 15 seconds and then swallow.
VeganSafe Vitamin B-12 is Risk Free for You to Try
- We are sure you will see and feel the health benefits of VeganSafe B-12. If you aren’t absolutely satisfied…if you aren’t feeling better, you’re protected by our 100% No-Risk Money Back Guarantee!
Stunned: Researchers Explain All The Health Benefits Of Combining These Three All Natural Ingredients: Green tea is so good for you that it’s even got some researchers raving. But now there is a Green Tea fortified with Nomi and VFI Humic/Fulvic Acid.
“It’s the healthiest thing I can think of to drink,” says Christopher Ochner, PhD. He’s a research scientist in nutrition at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital.
The old saying goes, you can’t replace your health. Support Beforeitsnews by trying all our health products below.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Join our affiliate program and earn extra money by sharing with friends and family or by posting on your social media.
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at www.mitocopper.com
Get our Free Ebook, "Suppressed Health Secrets" with Natural Cures THEY don't want you to know!
APeX - Far superior to colloidal silver! Destroys Viruses, Bacteria, Pathogens with Oxygen plus Silver!
Supreme Fulvic - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
Ultimate Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Organic Hemp Extract (CBD) - Full Spectrum high CBD (3300mg) hemp extract eases stiff joints, relieves stress and more!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
FINAL WARNING! Diseases are EXPLODING! Watch this Video about APeX and You'll THROW AWAY Your Colloidal Silver! APeX destroys Viruses, Bacteria and other Pathogens with the power of Oxygen PLUS Silver! Nobody else has a product like THIS! See why the inventor hasn't been sick in 16 years and why you'll never hear about it on the FAKE NEWS! Get some now and tell your friends about it too so we can reach more people!