Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Expects Iran, Hezbollah to Leave Syria After
Russia’s deputy foreign minister said he expected Lebanon’s Hezbollah and
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards to leave Syria after the war.
TEL AVIV (Sputnik) – The forces of Iran and Lebanese Hezbollah movement
forces, fighting for Damascus in Syria, will return home as soon as the
Syrian civil war is over, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Oleg Syromolotov,
presently on a visit to Israel, told The Jerusalem Post.
“I understand the fears of Israel relating to Hezbollah and the
Revolutionary Guards in Syria, and you of course fear that they will stay in
Syria after the war,” Syromolotov, who is in charge of counterterrorism,
said Monday, stressing that Iran and Hezbolllah “will leave,” as the war in
Israel demands that Iran be excluded from the Syrian settlement process,
saying that its nuclear program, hostile rhetoric, and support of
anti-Israel forces in the Middle East, including Lebanon’s Shiite Hezbollah
movement, pose a threat to Israeli national security.
Hezbollah is considered a terrorist organization by a number of countries
including Israel, the United States, the United Kingdom and many European
states, but not by Russia.
Earlier in February, Secretary General of Hezbollah Hassan Nasrallah
threatened to launch strikes on the Dimona nuclear facility in southern
Israel. In response, Israel’s Minister of Transportation and Minister of
Intelligence and Atomic Energy Yisrael Katz threatened to target Lebanon.