The Newgrange (New Grange) tumulus is found in County Meath, Ireland. This ancient site is connected to stories about magic, fairies, and incredible excavations. Newgrange is a part of the impressive Neolithic Bru na Bóine complex – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Traditionally, it was a burial site for Celtic Kings. But Irish myths and legends say it was also a place where magicians met and fairies united. Even today, stories say that when visitors are at the tumulus very early in the morning or late at night they may see the Queen of the Fairies and her subjects. Many researchers suggest that Newgrange has an astronomical importance as well. Although there have been many excavations over the years, this mysterious place still holds many secrets.
A Legendary Site Hidden Under the Green Grass
The earliest known writings about the tumulus come from a letter written by Edward Lhwyd dated December 15, 1699. But the site is obviously much older; does this mean that it was forgotten for centuries? That is a hard question to answer, but old books bring one more piece of precious information. In the Annals of the Four Masters, it is written that Danes plundered Newgrange in 861, however, there is no information about opening the tumulus.
When archaeologists first began work on the site, they found a large amount of precious treasures including ornaments and fictilia (earthenware objects) amongst other prehistoric artifacts. Some of the more interesting of their discoveries are a gold chain, two rings, a gold trocks, a bronze pin, and a small iron weapon. Many of the artifacts are exhibited at the National Museum of Ireland. However, several of the precious goods were also sold to private collections before a law was created protecting the site and its treasures.
www.Ancient-Origins.net – Reconstructing the story of humanity’s past