Hell House College is the nickname given to St. Mary’s College in Ilchester, Maryland (The college is also sometimes referred to as ‘Creepy College’). This college was originally set up as a Roman Catholic seminary during the 19th century, and was closed about a century later. This college gained its nickname as a result of the numerous legends / rumors surrounding the institution, which include stories of satanic worship and ghosts.
Hell House College is located on a granite cliff overlooking the Patapsco River in Ilchester, Maryland. In 1830, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was opened, and George Ellicott, Jr. (whose father, Andrew Ellicott, was one of the founders of Ellicott Mills, later re-named as Ellicott City) decided to turn his homestead in Ilchester into a hotel and tavern. The entrepreneur had thought that the trains would stop at Ilchester, and that passengers would patronize his establishment. Unfortunately for Ellicott, Ellicott Mills was chosen as the main stop in that area, which meant that very few people came to Ilchester.
Location of Ellicott City, Maryland (CC BY-SA 3.0)
www.Ancient-Origins.net – Reconstructing the story of humanity’s past