It won't be long before our home-milled lumber is cured and we can get to work on the Big Barn. While we're waiting seemed a good time to schedule the next house project on the list – a new front window for the front bedroom.
These windows are original to the house, and like the others we've replaced they are single-glazed and not in good repair.
Aluminum storm windows make for a second layer, but aluminum is a terrible insulator and not very energy efficient. The screens are nice to have though.
|Photo taken May 2009. More photos of this room here.|
When we first moved in we used this room as our bedroom. It was terribly cold and drafty, so that we were extremely glad to move out of it and into the master suite Dan made. This front bedroom is now a storage room.
We are going to replace the two old windows with one horizontal slider window. We got this one as part of a fantastic package deal when we bought the dining room windows (three new windows for $50). It will be placed in approximately the top-half space of the two existing windows.
It's smaller than the current windows, so hopefully this will be a straightforward job (ha! We all know how that goes!) We'll insulate the remaining space but wait to finish the interior wall. Mainly we want to get the window in, the exterior siding up, and the front porch painted. At least that's the plan.