Everything You Need to Know About Generators
During power blackouts, a generator can power necessary appliances, like refrigerators and heaters, and control temperatures in your home. Interestingly, sellers of electric generators record high sales during major storms.
What does this finding show? The majority of the users only buy the generator when an emergency strikes. When you’re in a hurry, you choose a generator randomly that appears to be up to the task. Consequently, you don’t pay attention to specs, follow the recommended installation procedures and are likely to misguidedly use extension cords.
We also have a duty to provide a reliable backup power for our families. Therefore, a generator is simply inevitable for each and every household. Read on for everything you need to know about generators.
Typical uses of a generator
If extreme weather conditions are a threat where you live, a backup generator provides a lasting solution. A user who lives in a chilling climate can’t afford to rely on utility power to support their furnaces and heaters.
Besides, we all have a duty to provide a haven for our family members. Standby (or even portable) generators will enable you to use heat producing devices during power blackouts and hence provide comfort to your family members. The same applies to individuals who live in coastal regions. A generator provides backup during an emergency.
Portable generators have made outdoor camping not only safe but also convenient. They enable you to enjoy all the expediency of modern living including having a coffee maker to make your favorite drink, a refrigerator for the storage of perishables and much more. With a portable generator, you can bring along your fancy appliances and enhance the security of your family with low-voltage lights.
Types of Generators to Consider
• Besides costing a lot of money, standby generators need to be skillfully installed by a professional. You, therefore need to factor in labor costs. The reason is you’ll need the service of a qualified electrician to guide you on appropriate permits, proper location, and noise restrictions.
• Start automatically during blackouts and tend to supply more power that other alternatives.
• They self-diagnose and notify you when maintenance is due, some even through text or email.
• You choose your preferred fuel type whether propane or natural gas. Both types are safe to store.
• Their outputs range from 5 to 20 Kilowatts. Standby generators are therefore best Whole House Generators since they can support all household appliances.
• They cost somewhere in the range of 5,000 10,000 dollars
• Portable generators cost less than standby generators
• They run on propane or gas. Due to their limited fuel-tank capacity, you may have to store the fuels in enormous quantities. Doing so necessitates the use of a stabilizer to maintain quality.
• While they can be utilized anywhere within or without your property, they should be not less than 15 feet from any residential property. They should not be used in enclosed spaces and must not come into contact with water.
• Most of them have electric starting though the battery required for this function is usually bought separately.
• Typically supply power in the range of 3,000 to 8,500 watts
• They cost between 400 and 1,000 dollar
Features to look out for
Generator maintenance tips
Equipped with the above crucial information the next important thing is to know how you can get the best generator. You need to establish your intended use of the generator, power requirements and the extra features you need. Regardless of your situation, you can get the generator that perfectly meets your requirements.
Guest article is submitted by Victor Hill from http://trustworthypower.com/
It’s Fall and that means Pumpkin Spice! Check Out My Ebook On Paleo Pumpkin Recipes! Subscribe to the show
Want to hear yourself on the podcast? Call in with your questions at (615) 657-9104 and leave us a voice mail.
|Think this post was worth 20 cents? Consider joining The Survivalpunk Army and get access to exclusive content and discounts!|