Recently, this Taiwanese Gochabi sponge cake is getting quite famous around Malaysia and there’s a branch just newly opened at Austin Heights Johor Bahru on the 7th of April. As info written, they are selling it for RM18 (original flavour) and RM23 (for cheese flavour), one slice in a box. Yes, I am daring to try it at home! I am using the direct baking method based on the recipe adapted from Edith @ Rumbling Tummy. Unlike the common sponge cake making, this Taiwanese sponge cake is using the cooked dough method by adding flour into warm milk & oil. Please read on to find out more.
110gm full cream milk
90gm corn oil
3/4 tspn salt
2 TB parmesan cheese powder
7 egg yolks
125gm all purpose flour
1-1/4 tspn baking powder
8 egg whites
1/4 tspn cream of tartar
110gm castor sugar
*6 slices cheddar cheese slices
1/2 cup parmesan cheese powder for topping
(1) sift together flour & baking powder and mix well.
(2) now, heat milk, oil and cheese powder for about 2 minutes or till mixture became just warm, not boiling.
(3) stir flour mixture into warm milk mixture till everything well blended, then add in egg yolk and continue beating till well cooperated. Set aside.
(4) next, in another mixing bowl beat egg white till foamy by adding in sugar & cream of tartar gradually, continue whisking till egg white became soft peak (meringue like).
(5) now, fold the meringue into the yolk batter in 3 batches and mix till everything well cooperated.
(6) transfer half of the batter into a 8″ lined with parchment paper (only bottom). Then line in sliced cheese. as shown as the above picture.
(7) then pour the remaining batter to baking tray, spread batter over the cheese then sprinkle on parmesan cheese powder.
(8) finally, bake at preheated oven 150′C for about 90 minutes on lower rack (for 42L oven size), but some oven 140′C for 70 minutes by covering the top with foil for the first 30 minutes. *Its my new oven, still can’t get use to the temperature setting. Need more time to get along with it. >o
(9) once its done, ajar oven door for 5 minutes before bringing out the cake, invert and remove parchment paper. Slice the cake only when its cooled.
I should say it is quite a satisfying result, except the top crust isn’t brown enough. The texture & aroma is absolutely fantastic. Hopefully, I’ll be able to work along with my new oven more often. However, I’m still looking forward to the bouncing kind of texture as seen in the shop & videos. Wish me luck !
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.