I also felt however, that it would work well insead of the raisins asked for in these scones. I decided it would add a really festive touch to them.
I was totally right!
It worked perfectly in them. It is a tiny bit spicy and filled with dried vine fruits and candied peel and . . . umm . . . brandy. A bit naughty, but it cooks out.
You only need one cup of dried fruit, so I would use 3/4 cup of raisins (Golden and regular) and then measure out 1/8 cup dried currants and 1/8 cup chopped candied peel.
I think those proportions would work well. I would use 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each ground cloves and nutmeg. You could also add some grated orange zest.
These are wholesome and hearty because of the oats. I love oats in baked goods.
Do use the old fashioned oats if possible. I think quick oats would not be very suitable and you would get somewhat mixed results.
Again, the biggest challenge I had with these was photographing them. I found myself running around the house like a blue arsed fly trying to find the right spot.
I finally dug out a TV Tray from downstairs and set them up on there. I then carried the tray all over trying to find the right space.
Its not just space either. It is also finding the right time when the light is at its best. I could buy a light box, but then where would I set it up?
I don’t know. Its all a matter of guess work at the moment.
I love this plate of my sisters. It is one of her Yard Sale Finds. She sells this stuff on her IG page. The pattern for this is “Check” by J & G Meaken of England.
I might ask her if I can buy them. She has two of them. I really like them and they go well with things like this.
They very much have a “country” feel to them, which I am quite fond of. I love anything rustic and countri-fied.
I used to buy Country Living magazine many years ago and really loved the primitive style of furniture and decor that they shared with their readers.
That’s where I first got acquainted with Susan Branch and her artwork. She used to do an illustrated recipe in the magazine each month.
I fell in love with them. The artist in me thought they were just precious. I had a huge collection of the magazine at one time, but they all got destroyed in a move.
- 2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tp salt
- 1 cup (80g) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (120g) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (150g) raisins (I used David Leibowitz’s quick mincemeat)
- 1 cup (240ml) butter milk
- buttermilk and granulated sugar to brush
- Preheat the oven to 225*C/425*F/ gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with some baking paper.
- Sift the flour, soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the oats. Drop in the butter and cut it in with two round bladed knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the raisins or mincemeat.
- Stir in the buttermilk to make a soft dough. Knead gently a few times to bring it all together.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out to a rectangle about 12 by 10 inches in side.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 10 squares.
- Place onto the baking sheet, leaving space between each. Brush each with a bit of buttermilk and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with butter and jam.
Did you make this recipe?
This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again!
Debunking the myths of English Cookery, one recipe at a time.
The English Kitchen
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)