Whether you’re making Thanksgiving dinner or simply preparing a feast for white meat enthusiasts, it helps to know the proper cooking time for a 14-pound turkey. So, follow these suggestions next time to have a hassle-free bird-roasting experience.
Factors to Consider When Cooking a 14lb Turkey Thaw it Out
If you’re dealing with a 14-pound frozen bird and want it thawed, you’ll have to keep it in the fridge for at least 3 days. Or place the frozen turkey in cold water, and replace the water every 20 minutes until it’s thawed. Afterward, place the thawed turkey to cool off at room temperature for about an hour.
The average calculation for cooking time is at 13 minutes per pound, at 350°F. This, of course, applies only to an unstuffed turkey, as stuffed ones require about 15 minutes per pound. This means for a 14lb turkey, you’ll have to cook for about 3 hours.
You need to preheat the oven to 450°F at the start. Once you’ve put the bird in, reduce it to 350°F. A typical 14lb turkey should be done at around 150°F to 165°F. You can also cook at 400°F to 425°F for 2½ to 2¾ hours if you prefer high-temperature cooking. Or stick with 325°F for 3¾ hours for a slower cooked bird.
Once the turkey is done, set it down to cool for about 20 minutes before carving. This way, the juices will settle and be reabsorbed in the flesh.
Handy Tips for Cooking a 14lb Turkey
Knowing the basics for preparing a medium-sized turkey is only half the battle, as other hacks are available to make sure the bird comes out great.
You can moisten the turkey by basting while in the oven or bringing the bird before you roast it. You can also place the bird breast side down and flip halfway through the cooking time. Or, you can simply stuff butter under the skin of the turkey.
Season Inside and Out
If you’re brining your turkey, you won’t need to add seasoning. But if you aren’t, then use about 1½ teaspoons each of ground pepper and salt for both the skin and the cavity.
The best way is to roast turkey is unstuffed and cook the stuffing with stock and diced up innards of the turkey, besides it in a casserole dish. In place of stuffing, put some celery sticks, large dices of onions, black pepper, thyme salt, and parsley in the main cavity. It adds to the extra flavor of the inside meat.
Cooking an Unthawed 14lb Turkey
If, for any reason, you’re left with little prep time and a frozen turkey, don’t fret. Here’s how to cook it;
Set the oven to 325°F and place the turkey in it for about 2 ½ hours. This will allow it to thaw partially. Afterward, remove it, take out the giblets and add your seasonings. Next, return the bird to the oven at the same 325°F. When the breast hits 157°F, take the bird out and leave it on the counter to cool at room temperature. This will continue until the meat reads the proper temperature of 165°F.
Following these tips will help you prepare a good-sized turkey in a quicker time, without fuss. To emphasize, here’s a great recipe you can try;
- 1 14-pound turkey, thawed, aired, cleaned, and brined
- 1 cup melted butter (unsalted) for basting
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to about 450°F, then add water to a roasting pan and place the roasting rack. Put the turkey breast side up on the rack and set the pan in the oven. Turn down the heat to 350°F and let it cook.
- Take the turkey out every 45 minutes and baste with the pan liquids. Be sure to close the oven door immediately, or you’ll lose some heat. In the last 45 minutes, use the melted butter to baste instead.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the turkey’s temperature at around halfway through the cooking time. Place it in the breast, inside thigh, outer thigh, and armpit, and if the temperature reads 150°F to 165°F, then the meat is ready. If some parts aren’t, return the turkey in the oven for another 20 minutes or so, but cover the breast area with aluminum foil, shiny side up.
- Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and extract the liquids in the pan for gravy (if you’re making any). Then, move the whole bird to a cutting board and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Leave to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving, then serve as you please.
- You can also check out this video recipe on how to cook a medium-sized turkey. Keep in mind that as we’ve said, it takes about the same duration to prepare a 12-14lb turkey in an oven.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.