The national hepatitis A outbreak has not yet burned out. Since 2016, 35 states have reported 38,476 hepatitis A cases. Through April 2, 2021, 61 percent or 23,373 of the stricken have required hospitalization, and 365 have died.
The Division of Viral Hepatitis at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) since 2017 has actively assisted state and local health departments with hepatitis A cases. Nine states, mostly in the West, have declared their Hepatitis A outbreaks as over.
Person-to-person transmission of hepatitis A remains a problem in 26 states. Several groups continue to be more likely than others to become infected with hepatitis A. These include:
- People who use drugs, injection, and non-injection.
- Homeless people or those who are experiencing unstable housing.
- Men who have sex with men. (MSM)
- People in jail or recently incarcerated.
- People with chronic liver disease, including cirrhosis, hepatitis B or C.
Hepatitis A spread by contaminated food and water is possible, but that’s not a principal concern in the current national outbreak.
Hepatitis A is one of the common liver diseases. It inflames the vital organ that processes nutrients, filters the blood, and fights infections. While heavy drinking can damage the liver, a virus usually brings out Hep A.
And CDC recommends the Hep A vaccine as the best way to prevent HAV infection. A one-dose single-antigen hepatitis A. vaccine is proven to control Hepatitis A outbreaks.
States — all east of the Mississippi River — with the most hepatitis A cases include Kentucky (5,132), Florida (5,024), Ohio (3,720), and Tennessee (3036).
State and local health departments haven’t yet extinguished the outbreak in 26 Eastern states, including the big four. Two eastern states, West Virginia and Massachusetts have declared their Hep A outbreaks as over.
Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah have declared an end to their outbreaks. In the West, only Kansas and Washington State continue to experience cases.
|State||Case Total||Hospitalizations n (%)||Deaths||Outbreak Start Date||Data Current Through|
|Total (35 states)||38476||23373 (61%)||365|
|States with an ongoing outbreak(n=26)|
|New Hampshire||319||198 (62%)||2||11/1/2018||2/11/2020|
|New Jersey||777||397 (51%)||11||12/1/2018||3/2/2021|
|New York (excluding New York City)||482||322 (67%)||0||6/1/2019||3/27/2021|
|North Carolina||482||300 (62%)||5||1/1/2018||1/23/2021|
|South Carolina||1911||992 (52%)||8||11/1/2018||1/22/2021|
|States with a declared end to their outbreak (n=9)|
|New Mexico||168||127 (76%)||2||11/8/2018||6/10/2020|
|West Virginia||2732||1377 (50%)||23||3/19/2018||8/24/2020|
NR: not publicly reported
- “Outbreak-associated” status is currently determined at the state level in accordance with each state’s respective outbreak case definition.
- Outbreak-related hepatitis A deaths are defined at the state level in accordance with each state’s respective hepatitis A-related death definition. Some states are reviewing death certificates on a regular basis to actively find hepatitis A-related deaths, while other states are utilizing passive surveillance.
- Outbreak start date is defined at the state level and may represent the earliest onset date of an outbreak case (AR, AZ, KS, UT), the left censor date for which cases are considered part of the outbreak based on the state outbreak case definition (AL, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NV, NH, NJ, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, VA, WA), or when a state declared a hepatitis A outbreak (NM, WV).
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
Immusist Beverage Concentrate - Proprietary blend, formulated to reduce inflammation while hydrating and oxygenating the cells.