Whether you’re watching football during the holiday weekend, chilling with family or doing some online shopping, Thanksgiving leftovers are sure to be a part of the plan.
To ensure that your Thanksgiving spread remains safe to eat, follow these guidelines:
- Two-Hour Rule: All perishable items should be refrigerated within two hours of coming out of the oven or refrigerator. After two hours, perishable food enters the Danger Zone (between 40 degrees to 140 degrees F) where bacteria can multiply quickly and cause the food to become unsafe. If foods have been left out for more than two hours, discard items to prevent foodborne illness. The two-hour rule includes, “doggie bags” sent home with guests.
- Use Small and Shallow Containers: Store leftover food in small, shallow containers in the refrigerator or in the freezer for later use. Shallow containers help cool leftovers more quickly than storing them in large containers.
- Freeze or Consume Within Four Days: That means the Friday after Memorial Day is the last day you can safely eat the holiday leftovers. If you want to keep leftovers longer, freeze them within that four-day period to enjoy later. Food poisoning bacteria does not grow in the freezer, so it is safe to eat for much longer. Foods that have been in the freezer for months (recommended freezer times chart) may be dry, or may not taste as good, but they will be safe to eat. If you store leftovers in the freezer, the quality with best within two to six months. Reheat leftovers to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- When reheating in the microwave, cover and rotate the food for even heating. Arrange food items evenly in a covered microwave-safe glass or ceramic dish and add some liquid if needed. Because microwaves have cold spots, check the internal temperature of the food in several places with a food thermometer after allowing a resting time.
- Reheat sauces, soups and gravies by bringing them to a rolling boil.
- Do not use slow cookers for reheating.
- Leftovers are safe to eat once they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- If you decide to freeze your leftovers, use the Safe Defrosting Methods when you want to reheat.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)