12 Lifesaving Canning Rules
When it’s that time of year for canning your garden bounty, or when canning anytime of year while taking advantage of sale prices on food, before you pull out your canner and fire up your stove, first take a look at these 12 lifesaving canning rules…
If done properly, canning is entirely safe; however certain precautions should be taken. Generally, I will say that the most important thing to remember (especially for newbies) is to follow the instructions of a modern canning recipe exactly – and those from a reliable source. Canning recipes and instructions are designed to provide a wide margin of safety.
Safety Rules Of Canning
1. Don’t use jars larger than a quart. Home canning technology cannot guarantee that larger quantities will be sufficiently heated through for enough time. Rather, the food on the outside will overcook, while that on the inside won’t get hot enough for food safety.
2. A water-bath canner may only be used for high acid foods such as tomatoes, fruits, rhubarb, sauerkraut, pickles, and jams/jellies. A pressure canner MUST be used for low acid foods including vegetables, meats, and stews.
3. Use only modern canning recipes from reliable sources (especially when first starting out).
4. Never reuse jar lids. Used lids aren’t reliable for sealing correctly. If a screw-on band is rusty or bent, it won’t work right and should be discarded and replaced. That said, you might consider purpose-designed reusable Tattler lids.
5. Don’t use antique or ‘French’ -type canning jars. They aren’t as safe as the modern, regular ‘Ball, Kerr’ type.
6. Check the jar rims carefully every year by running your finger over the top of the rim and checking for nicks. Even the tiniest nick makes the jar unusable for canning. A nicked jar rim won’t seal reliably.
7. Raw pack is not safe for certain foods: beets, all kinds of greens (spinach, etc.), white potatoes, squash, okra, a tomato/okra combination, and stewed tomatoes.
8. You must allow the correct amount of space (head-space) between your food, together with the liquid that covers it, and the jar lid (follow the recipe instructions).
9. Do not begin counting the processing time until after the water in the canner comes to a rolling boil (if using the water-bath method), or until after steam has vented for 10 minutes AND until the pressure gauge has risen to the recommended pressure after placing the weight on the vent pipe (if using a pressure canner).
10. Process the full recommended time (and at the recommended pressure if using pressure canner).
11. Lift out each jar individually using a jar lifter; keep it upright and not tipped.
12. If a jar did not seal, discard the lid, check to see if the jar rim is chipped (discard jar), check for food residue on the rim (clean), put on a new lid, and reprocess. Or consume the food and/or put in the refrigerator as you would any other leftover food for later consumption.
5 Methods of Home Food Preservation & 12 Lifesaving Canning Rules
How to make your own beef jerky
My Pressure Canned Chicken
Ways To Preserve Meat
100 Items To Disappear First
Outdated Skills That Could Actually Save You Money
How To Provide For Your Family And Rebuild The Community After SHTF – Trading Posts
How to Use and Store the Most Versatile Item In Any Emergency Stockpile
Ten Tips That Will Guarantee You Have Food if SHTF
12 Common Food Storage Mistakes
Four Methods of Food Preservation
Emergency Rations: How Much is Enough?
Food Safety: How Long Can Food Stay in Your Freezer?
How to Store Produce Without a Refrigerator
Anyone can join.
Anyone can contribute.
Anyone can become informed about their world.
"United We Stand" Click Here To Create Your Personal Citizen Journalist Account Today, Be Sure To Invite Your Friends.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation.
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
MitoCopper - Bioavailable Copper destroys pathogens and gives you more energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video).