Beef and mushroom pie
In cleaning out the fridge last week, I came across a bag of mushrooms I’d bought a while earlier. These were supposed to get chopped up into salads, but the lettuce had gone south and was inedible. I didn’t want to waste these mushrooms, however. They needed to get used up before they went bad.
Assessing what ingredients we had on hand, I decided to try my hand at beef-and-mushroom pie. My philosophy is “Everything tastes better in a pie crust.” I modified an online recipe I found here.
First step: Defrost some bacon and beef (cube steaks, in this case).
I diced and fried up the bacon bits.
While those were cooking, I diced up the cube steaks and added flour.
I also gathered up various other ingredients: Beef broth, carrots, garlic.
The recipe called for sautéing the mushrooms in olive oil, but why waste the bacon fat?
I also browned the meat in the bacon fat.
Adding flour and spices to the carrots.
Next, red wine. I loathe red wine with all my heart, but we had inherited this bottle and I kept it on hand for cooking. It’s great for cooking.
Finally, I threw all the components together in a pot and just let them simmer for a couple of hours on the lowest possible heat.
When the simmering was done, I rolled out a pie crust and pulled everything together. This is the uncooked pie.
The baked result was utterly dee-lish.
Here’s the recipe I used. Older Daughter doesn’t care for onions, otherwise I would have added a couple. Feel free to modify for your own family’s tastes:
• Six slices bacon
• 1 lb. mushrooms
• 2 lbs. steak (cube steak or other cuts)
• 2 cups diced carrots (and diced onions, if you wish)
• 2 cups beef broth
• 1 cup red wine (or Guinness beer, if you have some)
• Thyme and bay leaves (we have thyme in the garden, but no bay, so I just used thyme)
- Dice and fry the bacon and reserve the fat; put aside the bacon
- Slice and sauté the mushrooms in the bacon fat; put aside the mushrooms
- Cut up steaks and mix with 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1/4 cup flour to the veggies and sauté in bacon fat until veggies are soft (I skipped the sautéing since the carrots were canned and already soft)
- Brown the beef in the remaining bacon fat, along with thyme and garlic
- Combine all ingredients (bacon, veggies, mushrooms, beef broth, wine/beer, beef) and let simmer on low for a couple of hours.
• 4 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/3 cups lard/shortening/whatever
• Enough cold water to make a dough
Roll out two-thirds of the dough to fit a 9×13 pan. Add filling. Roll out remaining dough to cover the pie, pinch edges.
Bake at 400F until crust is golden
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Join our affiliate program and earn extra money by sharing with friends and family or by posting on your social media.
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at www.mitocopper.com
Get our Free Ebook, "Suppressed Health Secrets" with Natural Cures THEY don't want you to know!
Supreme Fulvic - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
Ultimate Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
pathogens and gives you more
energy. (See Blood Video)
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Organic Hemp Extract (CBD) - Full Spectrum high CBD (3300mg) hemp extract eases stiff joints, relieves stress and more!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)
APeX - Far Superior to Colloidal Silver! Protect Your Family!