Read the Beforeitsnews.com story here. Advertise at Before It's News here.
Profile image
Story Views
Now:
Last hour:
Last 24 hours:
Total:

Top Three Household Safety Hazards Every Homeowner Should Be Aware Of

% of readers think this story is Fact. Add your two cents.


Safety hazards can include anything that could cause injury or illness, but there are a few that every homeowner must recognize and prepare for.

Mold

According to Sarasota Mold Pros, there are various places within the home where mold can grow, but most often it grows in damp environments and is usually accompanied by other signs of water damage.

As well as substantial property damage, mold exposure also poses serious health risks, particularly for young children or individuals with respiratory conditions such as asthma.

It may be difficult to find visible evidence of mold growth, but you can consult with a doctor if you experience unexplained symptoms. Here’s what to watch out for:

  • Coughing

  • Sneezing

  • Chronic fatigue

  • Stuffy nose

  • Sore throat

  • Exacerbated asthma symptoms

  • Worsened allergy

Tips for Dealing with Mold

Eliminate Moisture Sources

In addition to removing the mold growth, you should clean up the moisture sources around your home as well. Mold will continue to grow back if you do not do this. Try some of the following methods:

  • If you discover a plumbing leak, have it repaired right away

  • Check your humidity levels from time to time

  • Reduce humidity levels with an air conditioner and/or dehumidifier

  • Open the window or run the fan in your bathroom after you take a shower

  • Flood-affected areas should be cleaned and dried

  • Look out for puddles of rainwater inside your home

Fire

It is possible for house fires to occur quickly and to spread throughout your home, causing massive structural damage as well as major injuries and psychological distress for you and your family.

Most fires can be prevented by following some simple safety precautions, from electrical wiring to cooking. In the event that prevention cannot be accomplished, it is imperative to be well prepared and have a solid fire safety plan.

Tips for Fire Protection

Purchase a Fire Extinguisher

If left unattended, even a small fire can quickly become devastating. Aside from evacuating when necessary, fire extinguishers can prevent some major catastrophes. 

Keep an Eye on Flame Sources

If you plan to leave the house or intend to leave the house without a fireplace, candle or stove lit, then don’t leave them unattended. Never leave a dish towel near a stove lit when pots and pans are boiling

Carbon Monoxide

Gas combustion appliances, such as furnaces, water heaters, stoves, and stovetops, contribute to the buildup of carbon monoxide (CO), which is odorless and colorless.

Oxygen cannot travel through your bloodstream as efficiently when CO is present. Exposed people often complain of headaches, fatigue and nausea. As CO can be fatal at high enough concentrations, it is important to take proactive measures like setting up alarms and monitoring.

Tips for CO Protection

Regularly Service Your Major Appliances

CO is best managed by preventing it from ever becoming a problem in the first place. Maintain your gas appliances properly. An experienced technician should service your water heater and furnace every year. 

These measures also help prevent fire problems as well. Have your chimney checked out yearly, too. 

Install And Maintain CO Detectors 

You should place CO detectors on all levels of your home, in locations where if they go off, they will wake the residents of your home. Buy battery-powered detectors or detectors with a battery backup. At least twice per year, test and replace the alarm’s batteries. Be sure to note the frequency of replacement when you purchase your detectors. It is recommended to replace most detectors every five to seven years.

In a Nutshell: Your Home Needs to Be Your Sanctuary

You might think your home has a number of potential hazards, but the truth is that a few simple safety precautions can eliminate many of those sources of harm and keep everyone in the household happy, healthy, and safe.



Before It’s News® is a community of individuals who report on what’s going on around them, from all around the world.

Anyone can join.
Anyone can contribute.
Anyone can become informed about their world.

"United We Stand" Click Here To Create Your Personal Citizen Journalist Account Today, Be Sure To Invite Your Friends.

Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!


Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST

Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST

Order by Phone at 866-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST


Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!

HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation.

Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.

MitoCopper - Bioavailable Copper destroys pathogens and gives you more energy. (See Blood Video)

Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser!  Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!

Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.

Smart Meter Cover -  Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video).

Report abuse

    Comments

    Your Comments
    Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green

    MOST RECENT
    Load more ...

    SignUp

    Login

    Newsletter

    Email this story
    Email this story

    If you really want to ban this commenter, please write down the reason:

    If you really want to disable all recommended stories, click on OK button. After that, you will be redirect to your options page.