This past April I put out a request for food storage recipes. My intent was to have some kind of contest with all the recipes that came flooding in. Unfortunately – the actual number of recipes received was relatively low. Rather than let them all go to waste I figured I would go ahead and publish some of them.
Thanks Harry for the idea to begin with!
#1 Southwestern Black Bean and Chicken Soup
My wife has attempted a few recipes over the past year using some of our food storage items. I like this one the best.
1 can chopped chicken (we use Kirkland Costco brand)
1 can chicken stock
1 cup water
Cup rice (optional)
Half a jar of salsa
Small can green chiles (optional for zest)
I have a creamy spam recipe but it’s not a sandwich.
#3 “Survival” Carne Seca Adovada Recipe
This was completely an experiment in using only storable items, I’m surprised that it worked out as well as it did.
A few up-front notes:
1) This is DEFINITELY going to be a lot better if you use homemade, air-dried beef jerky vs. the commercially-made stuff. If you have to use ‘store’ jerky, I’d go for the ‘steak nugget’ style before the flat strips.
2) Dried Ancho and Pasilla chile peppers are available at every supermarket in areas that have any sort of Latin-American populations, or online. They are very flavorful, but not at all ‘hot’. (Chiles de Arbol can hurt you – not all dried peppers are mild) They are also pretty cheap flavor-enhancers. If you prep them by breaking off the stem-ends, pouring out the seeds and vacuum-sealing, the 25th Century archeologists who discover your stash will probably say “MMMMM.. tasty…”
3) This is NOT a quick MRE-type meal. Just like our ancestors, if you’re going to use dried, preserved ingredients, it will take a while, and you may have to plan in advance.
“big handful” (or 2) of homemade beef jerky (“Carne Seca” in Spanish – a popular Mexican ingredient)
“handful” of dried Ancho and/or Pasilla chiles
heaping tbsp. of dried Oregano leaves
about a tbsp. of ground cumin seed
1-2 tbsp. dehydrated onion flakes
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
chicken stock or bouillion (optional)
salt and pepper to taste.
1) In one container, cover the jerky with boiling water, and let sit 3-4 hours to rehydrate.
2) In another container, add chiles, oregano, onion and garlic, cover with boiling water and let sit to rehydrate. Refrigerating #’s 1 and 2 overnight (covered) is not a bad idea, if possible.
3) Grind up the chile/herb/onion/garlic/water into a thick sauce. “Abuelita” (grandma) probably used a lava-rock mortar and pestle for this. A hand immersion blender, or a food processor or a blender will work faster under ideal circumstances.
4) Drain the meat (save liquid) and add rehydrated meat to the chile/herb sauce. Add the meat-rehydrating liquid, if needed, until everything is submerged.
5) Let the meat marinate, refrigerated, as long as possible. 2 or 3 days is not a bad idea.
6) When ready, dump the whole batch into a pot, add water (or chicken stock) until everything is covered. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, simmer covered 2-3 hours, checking liquid level – add more if needed (especially if on an open fire)
7) Let it simmer, uncovered, another 10-15 minutes, to thicken sauce.
This was surprisingly good over rice and black beans with homemade corn tortillas. The meat isn’t ‘fall apart tender’ like a normal pork shoulder Carne Adovada, but much more than just “acceptable” or “MRE” quality.
For a funny demo/HOWTO on making good beef jerky (under modern circumstances) I recommend:
© 2014, Rourke. All rights reserved.
Please Help Support BeforeitsNews by trying our Natural Health Products below!
Order by Phone at 888-809-8385 or online at https://mitocopper.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomic.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Order by Phone at 888-388-7003 or online at https://www.herbanomics.com M - F 9am to 5pm EST
Humic & Fulvic Trace Minerals Complex - Nature's most important supplement! Vivid Dreams again!
HNEX HydroNano EXtracellular Water - Improve immune system health and reduce inflammation
Ultimate Clinical Potency Curcumin - Natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and so much more.
Oxy Powder - Natural Colon Cleanser! Cleans out toxic buildup with oxygen!
Nascent Iodine - Promotes detoxification, mental focus and thyroid health.
Smart Meter Cover - Reduces Smart Meter radiation by 96%! (See Video)